TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 3.8 has been sitting since last April. I started driving it again about 2 weeks ago. It was stored with nearly a full tank of gas. I have driven between 800-900 miles in that time, all of a sudden while driving home from the Detroit auto show I made a left turn, and the engine started sputtering and jerking. As soon as the wheels straightened out it ran fine again. Its been like this for 5 days now. Straight and right hand turns are fine. It does it even with a full tank of gas, so it cant be the fuel pump sucking air like if the tank was nearly empty. Any help figuring this out would be great!!!

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Same thing I asked over on cougarnuts:

What happens if you turn the wheels to the left while sitting still? Does it sputter, or does it run normally?

-Rod

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the oil.....was 1.5 qt. low toped it off and it seemed ok for a little bit, like 15 miles, then came back again. Oil level is still full.

It runs fine with the wheels cut and standing still and even moving under 5 mph, but if I make the left turn and give it more than a tiny bit of gas it will start acting up.

I could pull a Ricky Bobby and do NASCAR in reverse....lol

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
If memory serves me, I thought I remember this coming up a few years ago..... forgive me I'm old! :eek:

Does you car have the 96+ deep tranny pan or the stock flat one? One of our experts here at the time trouble shot the problem as fluid starvation in the tranny. Because the 94/95 tranny pan is flat and by taking hard corners and fluid moving around in there, not enough fluid was being drawn into the tranny.

I guess Ford corrected the problem with the newer style pan with the sump.

Joe

·
Registered
431 Posts
I could well be wrong but it sounds like an electrical short to me.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I bet that one of your spark plug wires is burned through and is grounding out on the exhaust manifold or engine when you turn.

I had that problem once a long time ago.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:
I replaced the trans. a few years ago with a 97' bird unit w/37,000 on it........about 55,000 now, so it should be the updated pan on it.

I have come to notice driving today around lunch that it is working fine.

So all of the instances that this has been happening that I can recall have been when the temp. outside is extremely cold. 8 degrees this morning, 10 degrees at the auto show, but around 32 when I went out for lunch, and ran fine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check your steering column electrical connections, if your car has air bags make sure you pull the negative off of the battery before messing with the wiring in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just fixed my 88. It was doing the EXACT same thing. It was the Green/Brown wire going into the ignition coil. I noticed it was a little loose, I fixed it and all is well! This problem drove me crazy for about 3 weeks. It started dying out when I hit the brakes also, thats what made me look into the wiring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 96 bird is doing that as well shell caugh then come back to normal sometimes it'll happen when i hit a huge pothole "thanx oklahoma raods" it will jump rpms when if im goin 35 plus which makes me think its electrical or computer related

1 - 13 of 13 Posts