TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the tip. Got it caught in a 1/2 V-belt at work. Lost finger nail and by the pic my wife took is a bloody stump. If doesn't get infected all should be ok but guess we will see in 8 weeks.

Thankfully was my left hand.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to be rough on my wife too, cleaning it is even hard on her; plus must keep it perfectly dry and clean.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Lol your sounds alot worse. My wife passed out i pushed on it and the fatty layer started coming out of the hole in my finger and she could handle that.

Things called Finger Cots are wonders if you still will be working get them. I work Sheetmetal for the USAF and the ones i bought from wal mart held up pretty good.

O Get no stick gauze and if you dont then when you remove the gauze soak it in water and salt solution and just let it fall off, if you pull the stuck gauze off u will regret it.

Hope you heal quick.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Count your lucky fingers!!!

I hope you heal and get well. I too almost lost a finger years ago so hearing this second recent story just makes me wanna say people please be careful.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
That's bad. I saw that happen to a teachers assistant when I was in high school but with a serpentine belt, his finger was seriously injured as I recall. I was probably 10 feet away but was looking right at the running motor when it happened, I swear I could feel the "bump" from my table.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Mine was just damaged too. I'm lucky I healed with little to show for the horrible day that was.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol your sounds alot worse. My wife passed out i pushed on it and the fatty layer started coming out of the hole in my finger and she could handle that.

Things called Finger Cots are wonders if you still will be working get them. I work Sheetmetal for the USAF and the ones i bought from wal mart held up pretty good.

O Get no stick gauze and if you dont then when you remove the gauze soak it in water and salt solution and just let it fall off, if you pull the stuck gauze off u will regret it.

Hope you heal quick.
Yeah mine wasn't cut but mashed between a 1/2 V-belt and a 5" cast aluminum pulley at 60FPM

Cot is going to be impossible to wear due to the damage, stitches weren't possible either.

I might be able to post pic but will let ya know its nasty. I still haven't looked at my finger just the pics.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
If you decide to post a pic. just post a link to the pic. don't embed the picture.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Maybe a Super Moderator could combine the "Finger Threads" into one..lol

Finger Thread 1

Finger Thread 2

Rayo..
Yea, I noticed that too (second post in this thread).

No, I'm not going to combine these, they can stand on their own as examples of what not to do.

Like Oxman said. "... Guys we need to be more careful!"

If you work with your hands ALWAYS be aware of pinch points. Never let your guard down or get in a rush.

We're always drilled on this in my job. Some of you may be aware of "Human performance tools" some of you may not.

One that we're always reminded of is to use STAR.

Stop

Stop before you perform a task and assess the risks.

Think

Think about what you are doing, what the dangers are and how to minimize or eleminate them.

Act

Perform the task being aware of what you're doing. Don't let yourself get distracted.

Review

Was the outcome the expected one?

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Trunk Monkey said:
One that we're always reminded of is to use STAR.

Stop

Stop before you perform a task and assess the risks.

Think

Think about what you are doing, what the dangers are and how to minimize or eleminate them.

Act

Perform the task being aware of what you're doing. Don't let yourself get distracted.

Review

Was the outcome the expected one?

I agree..People should be more careful.

I've never heard of the "STAR" method before..

That would certainly help someone remember to be more careful with their appendages..

I hope Finger Thread 3 doesn't involve loss of a digit??

:(

Rayo..

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I can say it was not the expected outcome. :D

I know was my fault but believe the last 2months of ~60hrs a week 6days a week hasn't help stress or concentration.

What was bad is someone else got hurt today (head injury).

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Man! I know what you mean. I've put in some weeks and months like that too.

Those long hours really wear you down.

Where the heck do you work? You don't have to name the company but what industry/type of work do you do?

Two OSHA reportables in a week doesn't look good for the company.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I work for one of the top 3 mainstream conveyor manufactures. With the market consolidating since 2008 they moved up and I don't think they ready for the increased business but they are taking all they can get and then some.

I know don't look good, they pay well but I feel like just a cog in the machine and my last company (another conveyor manufacture, niche market) I was a person the VP and CEO knew who I was.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to Doc today finger is doing much better, looks like be full a recovery. No longer need a wet to dry bandage, now just a plain band-aid and a split (for protection).

Figure tip is severely bruised and once that goes away I should be able to use my hand more normally and less pain.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Good to hear!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts