TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New takeouts with very few miles. Excellent condition 3.73 gearset.
$100 shipped.
JL

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
No shops will generally charge you $600 plus. I charge $250 minimum (don't have to change the carrier parts or even dismantle it to $300 normally to go through a rearend and refuse to do it without new pinion bearings. I also insist on a solid pinion spacer. Any cheaper would be crazy because the pinion depth guage is $1200. The case spreader for aluminum cases is rediculous too, but I made my own. $100 is doing it for nothing. The first time you have to take one apart 10 times to get the pattern and backlash where you want it you will change that quick.
Alan

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
eh, okay....i still charge 100 bucks.....I won't remove it from the vehicle though.....Now, if they want more than just a gear change, the labor goes up.

If you really spent 1200 on that gauge, then lol!

Easy to check with simple tools...

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Easy to check with simple tools? I don't think so. Look up the rotunda pinion depth guage. It's either that or keep guess and taking it apart or end up with screaming gears. I'll pass on the quick cheap slop it together builds. Most people tell me when I install gears they are quieter than the factory were.
Alan

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
never had a problem here with any of the gears I've installed.

but hey, what do I know...I'm just your know nothing redneck backyard mechanic.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Here, this is what I was trying to type out, but this guy says exactly what I do...

The pinion depth checker isn't really cost effective, IMO. I use a dial caliper and a short length of 1/2" stainless key stock as a straightedge to check pinion depth. Just lay the key stock across the bearing cap mounting surfaces with the caps removed, crossing the pinion gear, measure the depth, using a small square to square the caliper to the key stock, then subtract the thickness of the key stock from the measurement you get. That will be your pinion depth. If you have a depth micrometer, that will work even quicker. A good dial caliper can be had for under $50, and will be way more handy to have around. Hope this helps.

thats the jist of it......

and if you don't like how I set them up, then don't have me setup your gears :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
My dad made his own for maybe 100 bucks. The rotunda one is the preferred method i'm sure but not cost effective for the one time use people most of us are.

Thankfully I inherited the tool my dad made since he has his own machine shop!

Your rates are really good Alan. I would charge more if I did it lol. The couple times I have done it in car it was quite a bit of work.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Setting the pinion depth is very easy if you use only Ford gears. Look at how the Ford pinion depth gauge works, it's just a tube that goes in place of the carrier, then a flag shaped part that goes in place of the pinion, you slide shims between them to see which one has a good fit. So this means Ford assumes the head of all pinion gears to have the same overall length. So, since this is true, once you pull the old pinion out you just use calipers to measure the length the of the pinion gear head, and measure the new one to compare. They are almost always exactly the same, as the Ford tool assumes, so you go back with the original shim. If they measure slightly different with the caliper, then adjust the shim thickness to make up the difference. I wish all axles were this simple.

·
Registered
379 Posts
3:73 Gears with traction lock

I charge 100 bucks just for labor....shops, are usually twice that if you're lucky.
I have a whole Mark VIII rear end with 3:73 gears and traction lock for sale for 300.00 . I dont know when they were installed but it only had 85xxx miles on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts