TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before we shell out $500 for re-certified cats, is there someone near me who has known good cat converters who does not need them? My poor daughter's Thunderbird has had more repairs lately than she can afford. We've fixed missfires, coolant leaks, and replaced a bad oxy senser. Her stock cats are partly melted down and she failed emissions testing because of it. We're willing to drive to someone who has a cat system for her car. Please reply soon, as she intends to use plastic to buy a high priced re-certified system in the near future.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
most aftermarket hi flow cats are CARB approved. Random Technologies and Magnaflow both make them. For 500$, you could get 2 cats and exhaust piping done.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
have you gone to any exhaust shops? theres one here near me in the city of la puente that will do pretty much anything other than downtubes. just go to a local family shop and they will help you out.

or hit up summit

for 4.6 mn12 cats:

for 3.8 mn12 cats:

4.6 version 3.8 version

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cats

The car failed the HC count. It's running very well due to new wires and plugs,fuel filter,one oxy sensor,recent air cleaner,etc. But, the cats are bad.I had to gut one due to meltage.The other is just damaged. In Calif, there are very , very few c.a.r.b. approved converters for 1996 and newer obdII cars. The above photos of Catco,etc systems are all illegal here for cars 96 and newer.
I think that only a left or right cat singly can be replaced, but if both are bad, it has to be dealer item or re-certified item only.
So back to original question : to anybody out there in California that lives near
me, do you have a working t-bird system for a 96-97 4.6 that you would like to un-load??

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Edman , I went through the exact same thing.

I got refurb cats and I paid 700.00 with labor .

The dealer quoted me over 1k just for the cats .

Try ebay , last week I saw cal approved cats for 3.8 new for 350.00 or so you can call them and see .

found one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Catalytic-Converter-96-97-THUNDERBIRD-COUGAR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33629QQhashZitem120000208599QQihZ002QQitemZ120000208599QQrdZ1

another http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-97-Ford-Thunderbird-Catalytic-Converter-OEM-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33629QQhashZitem8009520705QQihZ019QQitemZ8009520705QQrdZ1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts