TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so after scouring far and wide across this realm and further...

I pretty much figured out that the F'ing OD belt snapped in my tranny.

Anyone got a good book recommendation on putting a new one in or is this cruising for a bruising?

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Yo, Josh.

I was _this_ close to rebuilding a TH350 and then chickened out. You've got to be pretty careful, me thinks, and you need a lot of time and patience (which is not to say you don't have that, but it seems pretty hard.)

I was looking for this address:

http://www.reinhartautomotive.com/

earlier, but couldn't find it. Email them, ask how much for a moderate rebuild but one that definately won't break again. From what I hear of Dennis (the guy from the above address,) he's good at what he does.

Good luck,

Josh

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Josh, I don't know what you're talking about! I own a chevy corsica! Uhh....

Hey man, glad to see a familiar face. In case you haven't gathered it from e-mail, I've pretty much given up the quest for rebuilding it myself and will pay for a rebuild.

You don't happen to have prices for the rebuild (but also for shipping?)....

Thanks,
Josh

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Expensive, but probably not more than 500 dollars more than what any other shop would charge.

For a little informative reading (it's kind of hard to follow, but you might have a longer attention span than I do ;-) go back to the TCCOA main page, click Technical Articles, click Transmission, then read Jerry's "Ford OD Transmissions 101" The guy helped design the stuff... he should know ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ha, this Jerry person, where can I send my ninjas to "persuade" him to work on my tranny? ;-)

Is it really worth the extra $500?

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
First of all (and I'm an idiot for not knowing why) we don't say his name much. He's "that guy" or "the mysterious Mr. J." I think he lives on the east coast somewhere... should narrow it down ;-)

It's worth it if you plan on keeping the car a long time, worth it more if you plan on keeping it and hopping it up.

If you're looking at it from the aspect of just repairing it, driving it for a few years, then dumping it, then go ahead and have AAMCO run through it (they ain't bright, but you can learn through repetition...) But I know you... you'll drive it hard ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I will probably end up doing (and I don't expect a responce) is asking The Florida Guy what parts he upgrades in the tranny to improve their durability. Then I'll get it rebuilt locally by one of the local ATX/MTX shops that isn't AAMCO. I can't really afford the downtime on my car, I don't own a second pair of wheels and my father reads me the riot act whenever I drive his truck.

I do gently remind him I keep the 350 running.... :)

Of course I'm not going to drive it nicely, what's the point of all the looks and none of the speed to back it up? (Can I find a honda owner in the audience?)

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
That's a good idea and I'm pretty sure he'll be happy to accomodate you. Just let him know the situation and ask his opinion too.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
"The Man" asked us all to stop using his name because he got tired of being somewhat of a celebrity. He also got tired of every doofus asking him the simplest questions. Dennis at www.reinhartautomotiev.com has taken Mr. J's place in our community, but no one will ever top Jerry in the respect department.

As for the replaced parts, read the Ford Transmissions 101 article written by our reclusive car God known as the man of so many names. He tells you all the parts you need to make the tranny support OVER 650hp USING FACTORY FORD PARTS.

Print out that article or whatever and take it to your local tranny shop. Make damn sure you can trust them to read the article and do exactly as it says, and you'll basically have the last Ford auto you'll ever need. Once its been built up to Jerry's specs, dno't expect it to break unless something catastrophic happens. Like busted tranny line that leaks out all your fluid, or blowing the front of rear main seals in the tranny going down the hghway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh good, I was starting to think that Lord Voldemort (or one of the other Great Old Ones) posted on the message boards...

I believe that the ford transmissions 101 only covers AODE or AXOD, right? not AOD?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Unfortunately, now that I look at it again, I see that it mentions the AOD, but doesn't delve into them. Have you given Dennis a call? He might be able to point you in the right direction as far as parts are concerned.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I think some of the modifications are applicable to the AOD, but I don't think just printing out the Tech Article will help the shop much... it's mainly for your own benefit if you own an AOD, I think. I'm more than sure that an email or call to Dennis will at least yield you part numbers (a Super Coupe-grade O/D servo will probably be at the top of the list.) One nice thing about the AOD is the sheer number of applications Ford used them in. If you find a reputable shop, you're at least guaranteed that they've rebuilt a few. Present them with the right parts and they shouldn't have any trouble building something good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts