TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've searched and I don't think I've found anything that helps me. My A/C isn't working. The clutch isn't engaging so I replaced the cycling switch. Didn't fix the problem so I went out and ran a jumper across the connector. The compressor came on right away so I figured I must have gotten a bad switch. Had the switch replaced again and still no luck. Last time I checked it, the pressure in the system was OK, if not a little high. Any suggestions? Please help guys, its getting hot!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I picked up the cut off relay today. Could this be causing my problem? I also need to know where it can be found. I read that it was behind the shock tower on the passenger side and I also read that it was next to the self test connector. Does that mean that its under the hood or under the dash?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lots of stuff lately about AC--. Do a search, including other sites, lottsa stuff.
I'm going out on a limb here and suggest to anyone with presumed compressor on/off issues-------do a pressure check with guages, before anything else!

You can replace parts until your wallet screams and you can get advice about "presumed" symptoms from some of the experts (which I dont claim to be:)) but it will ultimately come down to what are the low/high (suction/discharge) side pressures If you live in a hot area of the country and would like to become knowledgeable so you can fix your AC, then drink straight water for a week or two, save money and buy a set of guages. You will cause the experts a lot of unnecessary effort, even though they may be willing, if you cant tell them the actual pressures of the systems. Most would be glad to help but need more info.

If you have replaced the "cycling switch" ( low pressure) without any change and jumpered the switch leeds, which does cause the compressor clutch to engage, then the simple answer, to me anyway, is that you are very low on freon! and thats not the only thing! That means you do not even have ~27 psi in the system at rest, which is very low! My systems seem to equalize at ~90 psi at rest which will allow the switch to turn on the compresson initially. The really important question is "Why is the system low to begin with"? That is where you will need some input to save yourself some money :) LOL :)
YB

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, so heres what I found out. When I installed the first switch, I didn't get all of the old o-ring off and it apparently caused the system to bleed off all the coolant. I discovered this because as I was trying to recharge the system, I heard a hissing from the area of the switch. I removed the switch and the hissing stopped. Thats when I noticed the mangled o-ring still on the threads. Wrapped a healthy layer of teflon tape around the threads, reinstalled the switch and no hissing. I got enough coolant back in the system that I can now get the compressor to cycle quickly and the air is getting a bit colder. Now the compressor is making an awful screeching sound. I'm assuming it needs oil so I've put everything on hold until tomorrow when I can get an oil charge to put in it. After that, I'm going to contine charging the system and pray that I didn't do any damage to the compressor and that the screeching goes away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Call me anal retentive...but if you think you're short of oil you need to disassemble and flush the system, then add the correct oil charge in. How much is left. 2oz? 4oz? You don't know.
This is what a reputable shop would do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts