TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 4.6 lx and now that I'm almost done with the audio/video system its time for a engine and tranny overhaul. I Have a little experence with the engine side of cars. It's kind of over my head but I learn Quickly.

My plan is to replace most everything W/new parts. Im not looking for super high performance just reliableity. I'd like to have a charger (quiet one if it exists) so my motor would need to be buit around this.

Essintials I want are Ballanced internails (Crank,Rods,Pistons ect)and Larger Bore (how much?) every thing else I don't know what I need. Where can I find the parts?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
My persoanl opinion is it isn't worth rebuilding a 95 block also rebuilding a modular is not as simple as slapping an old 302 together. You will soend a lot less and get more power by just finding a good used PI motor (explorer or mustang)

www.greenleafauto.com

If you go with a low boost charger with a good tune you can get away with a stock motor (see my sig)

How many miles are on your existing motor and what makes you think it need rebuilt to be reliable. Most people are getting 200K plus on these motors without any issues. If I had to guess i would bet yours just uses a little oil due to theh bad 94-95 valve seals

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I had several different people check it out and they all say its a rod (Left side) and the valves (Right Side) knocking. I have 155,000 miles on it. I bought it with 88,000 miles from a older couple who took care of it well. I don't drive it hard anymore due to the knocking at high rpm's (3,500 + its really bad).

I know the valve seals are bad I burn 1-1/2 qt every 3000 miles. I always get the regular mantaince done and I run full synthetic oil and premium gas (loves the premium!). Plus the trans slips every so often when I accel out of a corner.

155,000 miles and never a problem with anything untill now, never has it left me on the side on the road.

·
Registered
921 Posts
synthetic is wasteful on that engine.... I would also ward away from SHM... I have no personal experience but others here do and will prolly chime in on it. I second the motion of a used PI motor. If you want to overbore in a big way, get the aluminum exploder block. They make overbore kits for the 4.6L's. Or you could go with a DOHC engine from a mark viii or cobra. It is my understanding they are boost friendly.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
SHM?? avoid them like the plague. My personal experience was that they are a bunch of "dumpster divers'' of the lowest ilk....Theres a bunch of good suppliers, so go with one that provides a decent forged rod and piston... Get some later mod heads, and have them reworked slightly ,or better, but know whether youre useing PI, or NPI heads and get a piston that wont mind a little boost, I.E., one that will keep C.R. at or a tad lower than stock. That way, when you get greedy with that blower, you wont shred it by adding a smaller pulley...You might check Coast High Performance for the rods, pistons, etc ,or one of many other suppliers favored by other members that are sure to chime in... In any case good luck and enjoy the challenge ;)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
If you want to stay "basic" I would recommend the Summit kits.

It looks like their kits range from $600 for hyper pistons up to about $800 for the forged pistons.

But I’ll reiterate what timb said: The 4.6L IS NOT an engine to just slap together. You will learn to HATE torque to yield bolts! :redmad:

Dollar for dollar, the best bet is to get a low mileage, running engine and just swap them out. You’ll be better in the long run and save yourself some major headaches! Have you priced the head bolts, main bolts, rod bolts… etc lately… they are not reusable!! :redmad:

Just my .02! I’ve built one 4.6L and I will shy away building another one unless I need to go very custom. :beek:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Have you priced the head bolts, main bolts, rod bolts… etc lately… they are not reusable!! :redmad:
ARP stuff is reuseable, but you could probably buy 4 sets of tty bolts for the price of one set of ARPs.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well thanks for the links and advise guys it helps... I hoped that I wouldn't have to make a lot of customizations or swaps to the engine but it looks like I have to... I know little to nothing about the engine side of cars my speciality is the audio and video so this is going to be a challenge for me.

I think I might try the 5.4 L swap I found a motor with 1,000 miles for 2 G's (good Price?)

I know i can look here for advise when i get stuck and i will, so thanks again.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
cbasstb95 said:
Well thanks for the links and advise guys it helps... I hoped that I wouldn't have to make a lot of customizations or swaps to the engine but it looks like I have to... I know little to nothing about the engine side of cars my speciality is the audio and video so this is going to be a challenge for me.

I think I might try the 5.4 L swap I found a motor with 1,000 miles for 2 G's (good Price?)

I know i can look here for advise when i get stuck and i will, so thanks again.
not really. teh 5.4 swap involves a bit work...im not goingto bash or flame, but it would be easiest to find a low mileage 4.6L 2002+ Explorer engine and swap it in instead. Cherry-Auto.com has some good prices on them.

joseph

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
If you are doing a swap for the first time I think I would stick to a 4.6 swap. Just my opinion though

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
cbasstb95 said:
I think I might try the 5.4 L swap I found a motor with 1,000 miles for 2 G's (good Price?).
If you're going to do the 5.4L swap, then the only years worth mentioning are the '99-up engines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts