TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to get rid of that ugly wheel well gap on my Bird. I'm looking to do it for as little cash as possible so I'm going to pick up a set of SC springs and cut em down a touch. Anyways, I have no clue how much to cut off the spring or how to measure how much to cut off. I checked out wes's ride and that's what I'm looking for but with stock rims. I don't know if that drop would be the height I want. Can someone shine a little light on this for me, thank ya...

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
We cut a total of a spring and a half off of Wes's car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that a spring and a half all around? How did you measure how much to cut off?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Start from the end of the spring, and count 1.5 coils down, and cut, couldn't be easier.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
it's important to note that you should NOT use a torch. it will heat the springs, change their rate, and make the car bouncy. Use a good cut off wheel.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Measure with the car weight on the springs. From the base of the spring perch to the height you want to remove. IE 1"
Then move the ruler around until the height mark intersects with the bottom of a spring coil. Mark and cut. Give yourself a little extra spring in case you need to grind it flat or something to get it to sit right on the perch.
This is pretty accurate. Now as far as left and right go, cut the same way. Chances are just as good that measuring the coil length IE 1.56 coils, is just as balanced.

The spring coils that are closer together are the softest coils on a variable rate spring. If you want a little more tightness cut that end off.

SC springs cut off are still a little soft so be prepared to put in a stiffener later to get the ride you want.

RichardM

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks richard, I was going to go with cutting SC springs as a cheap method of lowering my bird... These stiffeners, what are they?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts