TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm curious, I have a 94 thunderbird lx, it's got the 4.6 v8 but I'm trying to figure out what Transmission it has.

My 04 crown vic has a 4r70w that's on it's way out and I'm trying to see if I can take the birds tranny and stick it in the vic. Thanks in advance guys :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Check the stickies in the Newbie, General, and 4.6 forums. You've got a 4R70W; and while it's possible to transplant the '94, there's no reason to do so except for cost-savings, and a million reasons not to.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not sure but the 04 should be a 4R70W, unless it got a Marauder 4R75W instead.

If it has no front speed sensor on the case(4R75W), you could use the old one, but it needs some internal parts that make it unfeasible. The later trans has a better reverse drum(mechanical diode), hard wired electrical parts($30), different TCC, shift solenoid, and EPC. Pulling that much apart to update those things should warrant a full rebuild at that point. So decide which to rebuild first, IMO. Regards,

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
There's no way I would put an old (especially 94 or 95) tranny in a newer car; by 02 they had most of the cheap parts replaced...

The last 02 tranny I bought out of a Gran Marquis was $450; I wouldn't pull one twice for that. (Once when you put in the 94, once when you replace it in a short while)

You would also have to repin the harness to change it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts