TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, long time no post, anyways have a few q's i hope somebody can help me with. i got another project i'm trying to get rolling. i have a 1994 f150 extended cab that i originally bought as a parts truck for my 90. wife convinced me to get it up and running instead. i asked and searched around a bit on the truck forums and came up bubkis, so i figured this would be the place to get some answers since i have been helped here before.

anyways, it is the 302 and has a bad 4r70w. the fluid is nice and dark and it runs but has no 1-2 shift unless i do it manually, and then stays there even after putting it back in drive and has absolutely no engine braking in second, so i believe it is pretty much toast. so which later model 99+ 4.2L 4r70w would be best? i found an 03 with under 110k not to far from here. would this be a good one for me? i only plan to do some occasional hauling off and on. so will repinning the harness and changing out the tcc solenoid still be the only changes needed, or is there more stuff to do since it is a truck tranny? please lmk as i want to get it running soon, thank you.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you sir. couldn't find my posts from 5 yrs ago when i did the swap into my v6 bird, lol, so i just wanted to be sure. i'll post back when i got the new tranny.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
another thought occurs, will the converter on the 4.2 tranny fit the flexplate on the 5.0?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Yes it will, if you are going to use a stock converter I would suggest getting one from a v8 or early model truck, the late trucks use a small clutch for some reason.
Alan

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so a tc from a v8 truck, will it need to be a non modular or modular v8 tc? or does it really matter? i'm definitely not a tranny guy aside from taking them out and replacing them, lol. so which year would be a good start to look at, or should i just look for an earlier model tranny like a 99-01 or so? thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I prefer the later model trans, The converters are better too excluding the small clutch. I can fix it for you if you want to go that route. None of the stock clutches are really any good, but the larger ones are certainly better. In the early years the converters all had small clutches. The shudder problems where terrible so they made a larger clutch, then in the late years they backwards engineered it because they improved everything else.
Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts