TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been contemplating getting a motorcycle, but seeing as how I've never ridden before, I was looking at 250cc bikes. As far as I can tell, the only options in terms of a sport bike are the Honda CBR250R, the Kawasaki Ninja 250R, and the Hyosung GT250R. I've done a little research and it seems that most reviewers tend to like the CBR for a more gentle, short distance ride whereas they prefer the "Ninjette" for more highway use and a sportier ride. The new Hyosung is a heavier, beefier 250 that reviewers say is closer to the feel of a larger bike but doesn't give a beginning rider like myself a good learning experience. All of them have the same 4k price tag which is pretty affordable for me, and all are available in my area. The question is: Which have you experience with and which has the best staying power?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Only ridden the Ninja, loved it. almost better than my 600!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I've been on several bikes......I had a 1980 Suzuki GN125....TURD! but it was a fun learning experiance.
Then from that I went to a 1980 Yamaha XS100 midnight special...FAST! for its age.

Last bike was an 02 VTX 1800...HOLY CRAP FAST!

but my comparison to those bikes is off, I have riden a few 250 sport bikes, but was less than pleased by there performance.

I would take nothing less than a 600.

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
4 grand on a 250? youre crazy. buy used first then get a real (read: bigger) bike. i think you will be bored with those little kids bikes in no time... definitely quicker than youll forget about the 4 grand you just spent on a toy. oh and a 250 on the highway? not gonna happen unless you want to get passed like its your job. and hyosung? c'mon dude. i cant compare the ninja to the cbr from personal experience, but i know i stick with honda. youll have fun either way, just remember to be safe. hope this helps.

-John

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Buy something cheap and used for your first bike. Something your not going to be worried about dropping

·
Registered
229 Posts
Warmaster259 is correct, cheap, inexpensive and light so you can manage through the motorcycle license test. I did my license test on a 1980 Kawasaki 750 and failed the first time I took the test.

Another thing I must tell a novice rider is " NO ONE SEES OR IS LOOKING FOR THE MOTORCYCLE COMING DOWN THE ROAD". That is said when somebody has an accident with a motorcyclist. Be prepared to break. Once you master not dropping a bike, then you can purchase a bigger bike. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Read ya later, Nick

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Warmaster259 is correct, cheap, inexpensive and light so you can manage through the motorcycle license test. I did my license test on a 1980 Kawasaki 750 and failed the first time I took the test.

Another thing I must tell a novice rider is " NO ONE SEES OR IS LOOKING FOR THE MOTORCYCLE COMING DOWN THE ROAD". That is said when somebody has an accident with a motorcyclist. Be prepared to break. Once you master not dropping a bike, then you can purchase a bigger bike. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Read ya later, Nick
Warmaster is right... X2. Cheap, light, and easy to handle (not to be confused with "handles well", I mean a bike that you can toss from side to side while sitting still as easily as you can while moving)

As is Wildturkey. years ago was riding down main street and saw a "Blue hair" (lady driver in her 80's). She was at a stop sign, getting ready to pull onto main. She looked STRAIGHT INTO MY EYES and pulled on out. Fortunately I was prepared for the "didn't see the motorcycle" and was already on the brakes when she pulled out. The bike slid sideways but didn't drop and I went around her. When she heard my brakes squeal she looked at me with terror and surprise.
Lesson being... do not EVER assume they saw you, even when you know they did.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I just started riding this year. The bike I chose to ride for my first year is the Honda Rebel 250. It has no problem hauling my 250lbs up to 60 MPH even on some decent hills. I get about 55 MPG even with me not really shifting properly, I probably don't downshift and upshift when I should. Get the Honda and don't look back no engine is more forgiving to the beginning rider. There is a reason they are the bike of choice for MSF Riders Training Courses.

OH and TAKE THE COURSE. Check your ego and take the training course. If nothing else, it will get you a 10-15% discount on your motorcycle insurance. In my state it also made it so I only had to take the written test at the DMV.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I ride a Ninja 250 to work and back. (~25 minutes each way) If you want something for longer rides or weekend fun get a 600+. My experience has been that the 250 is a gas saver or something to learn on. Ive had a few larger bikes along with the 250. They all have weak points and strong points. Another thing to think about is what it costs for maint. The 250 is cheap to maintain. Valves are easy. Tires are cheap. Insurance is $40 per year.

They are OK for the highway. I wouldnt say its a distance rider though. Im 200 pounds and mine does 80 without issue. I can have a passanger but its a meh ride. Cramped. The 600 plus is better for that. More power and room.

Good luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, thank you to everyone who has offered their opinions and I will take them into careful consideration when I do get a bike. I'll admit it's a little hard to find bikes I'm interested in here in Wichita Falls, but then again, my standards may be too high for a beginning rider.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Loved my 2002 Kawasaki 250 for a beginner. Got it 4 years ago with 12k mi, paid $1700 for it, laid it down. Had the alt go out, was gonna be $500 to fix the alt, sold it for $1000 with cracked fairing and bad alt. Took it riding in the mountains, and that sucked. Uphill was horrible with the Harleys going 70-80, and me doing 50 at best. Topped out at 100mph downhill, but I didn't want a bike to kill myself on. However, long trips and even rides around town were uncomfortable from the seat. Couldn't sit comfortably after the ride from Bozeman to Virginia City, Sheridan, and back to Three Forks. But I did it on about a tank and a half, around 6 gallons. Loved the gas mileage!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts