TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 1/2 weeks ago I wrecked my '95 Cougar (insurance totaled it), so I am looking for MN12 #3. There are 3 96/97 T-birds in my area I am looking at
T-bird #1
T-bird #2
T-bird #3

The only problem is they are asking between $6-7K (right at retail blue book) which to me is too high. (I think the 3rd price is a typo)
I have never bought from a lot before, so never had to deal. What is a realistic price to actually pay a dealer for a 96 V8 with about 70K miles? Private blue book?

I also am also a little worried how well the transmission has been taken care of. I have heard the 96/97 is more robust than the 94/95, but I am still worried with buying a used car with this many miles.

....Or if anyone here has a 94/95 SC or 96/97 T-bird 4.6 (silver, black, red) under 75K miles within 200 miles of Kansas City for sale PLEASE let me know. I may also be interested in a silver or black 4.6 Cougar with spoke wheels. I would much rather buy a well taken care of MN12 from a TCCOA person, than from a dealer.

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
The 2nd one is a sport! that would be my pick.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Check out the 97 to see if that price is really a mistake or not. Otherwise, I'd go for the Red 96. White is nice, but red is just my color.

If you have the opportunity, check out all 3 though. Start them to listen to them, check out for possibly body damage, and see if previous owners have mainteance records.

Good luck.

-Andy "Melon"

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
I agree, go for the 96 Sport (#2). If it even is a Sport. Try talking them down to $5200 - $5800. I am still looking for a good deal, but can't seem to find one now that I am ready to buy my T-Bird....

:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chad, I am in KC area and would be glad to help you look at car. I've been around cars for over 25 yrs and should be able to point out any weaknesses for you.

Personally, I would also look at 96 Sport first. Most dealers will come off their asking price pretty quick if you're serious buyer.

Let me know if I can help.

Bill

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OnE-SaD-BirD, I live in Lee's Summit too! Almost all my life.

wmprof, thanks for the offer, but I've got some friends that are going to look at the cars with a fine tooth comb and point out anything I may miss.

How can you tell from the pic its a sport? I don't know as much about the 96/97 as I do the 94/95.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I used to sell cars Dealers use a NADA guide. The kelly blue book prices are inflated. Dealers usualy pay 1000.00 -2000.00 below nada loan value. I would offer them 500.00 above trade in value. You can get a nada guide from autozone. If you pay much more that that you will get riped off. Just a example I bought a 93 nissan pickup 120k miles for 1000.00 trade is 2000.00. and retail is 3000.00

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The NADA Books from most auto parts stores are seasonal (summer, winter, etc.)and not as accurate as the books the banks and dealers use, which are updated monthly. (Though they are a far cry better than the Kelley Blue Book!) Most dealers are willing to let you thumb through the book while you are there.

By the way, I spent 3 years living in Lee's Summit! My folks are still there and Dad has a dealership in Raytown, though he sells mostly Cargo Vans he has been known to keep a car or two on the lot.

If the powers that be will allow a small plug, it is Heartland Motors on 350 highway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts