TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Westley's Bleche White to get the grime off my Firehawk Indy 500's (white out). The stuff is great for cleaning, but it leaves the tires dull looking.

What is a safe product to restore the velvet/satin finish of a new tire?
I'm not a fan of the high gloss/wet look.

A long time ago, I used Armor All and STP, which looked about right after they soaked in and the excess removed.
Then I heard about the damaging effects of such "protectants" on rubber and vinyl, so I stopped that practice.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I use Westley's Bleche White to get the grime off my Firehawk Indy 500's (white out). The stuff is great for cleaning, but it leaves the tires dull looking.

A long time ago, I used Armor All and STP, which looked about right after they soaked in and the excess removed.
Then I heard about the damaging effects of such "protectants" on rubber and vinyl, so I stopped that practice.
Bleche white is worse for that kind of thing. Most of the time when it damages the tire it is time to replace them by then. I use the armor all brand tire shine and spray it down pretty good then wipe the excess

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bleche white is worse for that kind of thing.
Well, I've thrown just about everything else at the problem over the years and found that Bleche White is the only "automotive" product that will remove the dingy film from white letters w/o laborious scrubbing/rubbing.
Some other products come close, but one feels as though he's about to rub the white off the letters due to so much scrubbing required (with various foams, pads, cloths, etc.), and they still don't get it as bright white as Bleche White does.

Most of the time when it damages the tire it is time to replace them by then.
That may be true with average miles per year usage. However, this particular car sees an average of less than 5k miles per year, so the treads last a looong time. I have my doubts about wearing tires out before improper chemical treatment has time to do damage. Speaking of which, I've yet to have tires suffer damage from Bleche White, other than taking a little of the luster off them -- if that is indicative of inherent wax or UV absorber removal, so be it, but my tires have never cracked/dry rot.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Brillo pads work pretty well on white letters, they have soap. But the Bleche White does remove grime the best.

Armor-all attracts dirt, requiring another coat sooner than it should need. Plus the shine is hideous!

The tire shine gels work pretty well, and they make some low gloss ones. The more you wipe the excess off, the less shine and chemical damage.

Al

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
All I use is 303 on the tires. It lasts longer and provides UV protection for rubber. I also used 303 on my RV's EPDM roof, and the EPDM (rad) hoses under the hood of my T-Bird.

Armor All is ****, I don't use it on anything.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Torque said:
This may be what you're looking for:

PRIMA NERO TIRE DRESSSING

Prima Nero is a water-based vinyl, rubber, and plastic protectant and
dressing for both interior and exterior surfaces. The appeal of Nero is its finish: it's a concours-look with a matte silkiness on vinyl dashes and plastic trim. Nero leaves tires with a look of newness, adding almost no gloss. If you are looking for the glazed donut shine, Prima Nero is not for you. UV inhibitors help defend against sun damage. Prima Nero is detergent resistant for excellent durability

Click Here: Prima Nero Tire Dressing

In your case..You could use the Westley's Bleche White to get the grime off your White letter Tires first..

Then spray your tires down with water..Let the tires dry, and hit it with the Prima Nero Tire dressing to protect them..

Here's a couple products I have tried..

I tried almost all the foam tire protectants, and found none of them held up after it rained..

Then I started using this stuff..

When that ran out..I started using this..

It seems to hold up longer than the Armor-All did..

The Gel Applicator works great to keep over-spray or drips off of the wheels..

Rayo..

·
Administrator
8,105 Posts
All I use is 303 on the tires. It lasts longer and provides UV protection for rubber. I also used 303 on my RV's EPDM roof, and the EPDM (rad) hoses under the hood of my T-Bird.
Which 303 product are you using? Did some searching and there's quite a few different ones.

Joe

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,789 Posts
Looks like everyone is putting there products that they use up so here is mine , Works great the best I have seen in my years ;)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Ok so what's good to use on a dash to keep it from cracking (besides the windshield reflector thing I have ) I'm always willing to try new stuff not trying to argue about armor all.
Edit : so after some research I see what you are saying it has some kind of oil or.petroleum in it I didn't know that . Well now I have been wrong twice in the last 36 years . The first time ended in divorce.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks for the link.
From the pics, that finish is what I prefer. I never did care for the wet look on all blacks, but IMHO it's even worse with white letters as the high gloss black distracts/detracts from the white lettering which should be the prominent feature by contrast. Purely a matter of taste, of course, but it just doesn't look right to me.
This is also why, aside from making the tires look ill, the dullness of the black resulting from Bleche White diminishes/washes out the white letters even though they've been restored to full brightness by that very product.

Looks like Nero and 303 are my best bets so far.
I can get 303 locally at Ace Hardware for $18.97 including tax.
Nero would have to be shipped at a gouged $10.55 S&H, bringing it to $25.54 (lotta dough for a 16oz. bottle).

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The Prima Nero has almost the same product description as 303. Water based, UV protectant, low gloss, etc. I've never heard of Prima, it sounds kinda like a no-name brand to me.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Very rarely are you going to find a tire shine that doesn't produce some sort of gloss or sheen. All OTC tire sprays are pretty much in the same boat for being terrible other than Meguiar's Hot shine spray or Meguiar's Endurance spray. I've been a detailer for several years and I use it a lot on general details, however for high end vehicles I use a special pure silicone tire shine that is made by a local chemical distributor. It actually embeds itself into the rubber and cleans the tire as well as leave it looking spectacular. The trick to applying tire shine is to do just that...use an applicator instead of spraying directly onto the tire. The more excess you remove will determine the amount of gloss you have when you're done. If you're interested in some of the specialty silicone I use I would be willing to buy you some and ship it to you. It's not as expensive as you would think, but PM me if you really need some.

EDIT: I don't have much to do today so I'll probably go detail the cougar here in a half hour and post some pics when I'm done. I use a special citrus degreaser to clean the tire before I apply anything, you may want some of that as well, it's $18 for a whole gallon, moderate health hazard, and completely 100% biodegradable. Plus you dilute it 50/50 so you get 2 gallons for $18. I think if you just want a satin/matte finish just clean it with the degreaser and leave it, they will be naturally black and clean with no gloss at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts