TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I need some help in getting an idea of how much it would cost to fix my car. It over heated and blew the head gaskets. I am sure that the head will need shaving. The car is a 1995 Tbird LX with a 3.8 motor. I live in Bradenton, FL. If anyone can suggest a mechanic in the area that is competent and fair with his pricing, I would appreciate that information also. Thanks....

·
Registered
390 Posts
Heads

Hi guys I need some help in getting an idea of how much it would cost to fix my car. It over heated and blew the head gaskets. I am sure that the head will need shaving. The car is a 1995 Tbird LX with a 3.8 motor. I live in Bradenton, FL. If anyone can suggest a mechanic in the area that is competent and fair with his pricing, I would appreciate that information also. Thanks....
i don't know bout fl ny it maygo from $800-1200,but if u wanna tackle it ur self n save a few hundred n do it yaself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys it's been a long time since I have done any mechanic work but those bolts on the exhaust manifold looks mighty rusty.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
yeah, for the 1200-1600 you could tackle it yourself. maybe someone thats close to you on here will do it and cut you a deal. shouldn't be hard to do if you have any experience as a mechanic. i opted for a new engine when mine went. thats another option. and i still spent only 600-800 and did the work myself

BTW, if you go the engine swap route, be sure to get a 96+ engine as they have the better head design

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
yeah, i fixed my typos...

no problem

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I where to sale this car how much do you think I can get for it has about 129 miles on it, rust bottom of passenger door?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Not to sound like an a** but if your going to pay 1600 or so for the work why not just pick up a working v8 for the same price? These cars arent worth much and with rust and a blown motor they are worth almost nothing. I have seen decent 95s go on here for about the same price as the hg fix. Also make sure the heads arent cracked because then it gets to be more money. Good luck in whatever you end up doing. And if you decide to do it yourself then good luck, I have never done it but Im sure from what other people say it shouldn't be to bad.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not to sound like an a** but if your going to pay 1600 or so for the work why not just pick up a working v8 for the same price? These cars arent worth much and with rust and a blown motor they are worth almost nothing. I have seen decent 95s go on here for about the same price as the hg fix. Also make sure the heads arent cracked because then it gets to be more money. Good luck in whatever you end up doing. And if you decide to do it yourself then good luck, I have never done it but Im sure from what other people say it shouldn't be to bad.
I agree...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts