TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I plan on changing out my 3.8 for a V8 in the spring, but I need to know if there is anything to help quiet down a small rattle I have?

On start up in the morning or after my Cougar has set for a few hours I get the bearing rattle. It is not real bad yet, but I know as winter goes along it will get worse.

Is there anything out there that will help prolong my bearings life for awhile longer or at least quiet them some?

Right now I am running 10-40 weight oil and a wix filter with the baffle to keep the oil in the filter.

Would lighter oil help or just make it worse?
Thank for any advice you can give me:D

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
first of all, 10w40 is a bad motor oil to use. Use 15W40 if the car is of higher mileage, or stick with just 10w30

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering on the 10-40 10-30 or 15-40? Please explain why one is better then the other? Not doubting at all, I know these are suppose to have 10-30 in them, but I always run the 10-40 because of the higher miles you know a little thicker oil.

Will the 10-30 or 15-40 help with the bearing noise on start up? Thank for all you help, I will get it changed out asap, just need to know what would be better in it of the two choices? Thanks

·
Registered
773 Posts
I run Valoline 20 50 in all my pushrod motors have for years! Cannot sa for the mod motors but I like a thicker oil it drops oil pressure a little but I think it lubes better!

Flame suit is on so go ahead!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
10W40 has too many additives to make it act like a 10W and a 40W oil. The farther the spread the less REAL oil in it due to extra additives. I used to work for a caterpillar dealer and I went to a 2 day seminar on Lubricants, 10W40 is one oil that is not in caterpillar recommended list because it does not hold up due to the extra additives and lower amount of actual "oil" in it. 10W30 and 15W40 are accepted.

when an Oil is a 10W30 its actually a 10W oil with additives to make it act like a 30W oil when its hot.
Same for 10W40 but you need more additives to get it to act like a 40W when its hot.

Personally In the southern states where it is fairly warm all year I would run 15w40 year round on a higher mileage engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Warm all year around??? Whats that??? Its 21 degrees here right now with out the windchill factored in.

Ok so I understand you theory on the weights on the oil. But where my problem is when the motor is cold start, not after it has warmed up. So I need to figure out what is good and would flow well when it is cold out.
So at least I know to get rid of the 10-40, now I just need to know what to change it to???

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
how often do you see below freezing temperatures? In minnesota we see below 32*f for 3-4months at a time and 15-40 is too thick for that, but if you only occationally see below 20*f then 15-40 whould be alright, but if its for an extended period I would run 10W-30 while its cold out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts