TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transaxle in the girlfriends Windstar went wonky on me last night...

Driving along just fine. suddenly it acted like I pulled it down into second gear manually. then it tried to go back to drive for a second. then back to second.

playing with the gas pedal got it to cycle a couple of more times and then stayed in second.

pulled over, fluid was in the middle of the cross hatch and didn't smell burnt. got back in, it accelerated away fine shifting from first to second fine but stayed in second.

This is the second transaxle in this van in a little over 20,000 miles. She bought it used at 98,000 miles and the Transaxle blew less than three weeks later. The used car dealer where she bought it split the cost of the new Transaxle and put it in for free. Now... 11 months later, this happens.

Any clue as to what may have happened?

I also have to say, this van has had several electrical gremlins. the stereo will cut out on bumps and if you torn the steering wheel to the left... But only in warm weather. Worked fine all winter.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Super Moderator
7,655 Posts
Second gear is the default if it loses connection with the computer, but if it still drops down into first when you stop, and shifts to second, then I would say you probably have something wrong inside the trans and not an electrical problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts