TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just got my 96 tbird out of the shop, and the guy swears up and down that my Mass air flow sensor is giving low readings. I cleaned the sensors not more than a month ago, and it made a huge differenece. This mechanic says that my MAFS, although giving better readings than before i cleaned it, is still bad. He says it is giving a reading of 26.1 where it should be 28, not sure what kind of measurement that is. Could it have something to do with my swapped motor not matching with the stock ECU?

So, my question: Ccould this MAFs cause my car to idle at 500 rpm when you put it in gear? I am no longer getting check engine lights but it is horrible when I am in stop and go, everytime i stop my motor bogs down and my car vibrates a lot. I found a MAF at the local dealer for $145, but kragen and autozone sell them for $98. My mechanic said that he can not guarantee that a kragen/autozone would give correct readings, he says they are different from one to the other slightly. He told me to just spend the extra $50, it would be well worth not having future problems

So, my question: Should I spring and buy the Ford MAF? Could my MAF be bad even tho it is clean as a whistle?

Also, the mechanic stated that the reason my DPFE valve went bad, along with my original IAC valve was caused by the improper readings coming from the MAF. He also said that is why the previous owner had to replace the cats and 02 sensors at 90K miles, I am now at 120K on the car. Any truth to this? It sounded reasonable cuz these cars have a mind of their own, being computer controlled and all....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but then i gotta get a chip to use it, and I cant spend $500 right now, sadly : \
 

·
MN12 Fanatic
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
edg1957 said:
Just get the 02+ GT MAF and intake tube :)
Being that he has a PI engine, I would hope he has the intake and MAF to go with it.... correct?

If it is not an 02 GT MAF, this might be a good time to upgrade to one. Do you have a tune to go with the PI engine?

What you can do is, while the car is acting up, unplug the MAF sensor and see if the problem goes away. If so then you pretty much have a bad MAF. If it doesn't you will have to do some more troubleshooting and tests.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
Tony said:
Being that he has a PI engine, I would hope he has the intake and MAF to go with it.... correct?

If it is not an 02 GT MAF, this might be a good time to upgrade to one. Do you have a tune to go with the PI engine?

What you can do is, while the car is acting up, unplug the MAF sensor and see if the problem goes away. If so then you pretty much have a bad MAF. If it doesn't you will have to do some more troubleshooting and tests.

Ya i totally agree. You should have the 02 gt maf with your PI engine and the car should be tuned which from what i read its not because you said you would need to get a chip. Well you need a tune for a PI engine to run correctly even with a stock MAF. I would seriously look at that first b4 anything.

-Matt-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,966 Posts
if you honestly dont have the cash for a GT MAF then hell, dont get one. I think there are some 96-97 4.6s being parted out. They usually go for somewhat cheap.
 

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
Joined
·
3,067 Posts
MattsLE97 said:
Well you need a tune for a PI engine to run correctly even with a stock MAF. I would seriously look at that first b4 anything.

-Matt-
No you don't. I ran my stock tune and MAF for several months after I did my 02 exploder swap. The car ran great and I didn't have any idle problems, CELs or anything like that.

EDIT: I just checked my stash of parts and I still have my stock MAF. It worked fine when I pulled it and I only replaced it to upgrade. $25 shipped if you want it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it is a PI engine, and it is a PI intake, but the MAF is stock. When doing the swap no one ever said anything about having to change the MAF. Oh well looks like
I will have to let my lifters starve for oil until I can get money for a tune and a GT MAF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,966 Posts
96_LX said:
Well, it is a PI engine, and it is a PI intake, but the MAF is stock. When doing the swap no one ever said anything about having to change the MAF. Oh well looks like
I will have to let my lifters starve for oil until I can get money for a tune and a GT MAF

why dont you jut go to a U Pull It and get a MAF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok aaorn, I might be interested in that MAF, i will get back to you on that.

To clear something up, If I do get the 02 mustang gt MAF, do i need just the airbox or the intake tube also? My local ford dealers charges an insane price of $271 for the airbox and MAF, and the intake tube is another $45. Will the mustang airbox connect to my intake tube? And where can I get a better deal on the MAF and airbox?
 

·
Fry Rice Specialist
Joined
·
4,794 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well all they have on modulardepot is 90mm and 80mm aftermarket MAFs, i kinda want the 02 gt one...anybody else have ideas on where to pick one up?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,961 Posts
www.blueovalchip.com

navigate thu the menus on the left and you'll find a page where stock mafs are offered for sale

you do need the intake tube since the stock mn12 tube wont go over the 80+mm diameter of the GT/Lightning mafs
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
96_LX said:
So, my question: Ccould this MAFs cause my car to idle at 500 rpm when you put it in gear? I am no longer getting check engine lights but it is horrible when I am in stop and go, everytime i stop my motor bogs down and my car vibrates a lot. I found a MAF at the local dealer for $145, but kragen and autozone sell them for $98. My mechanic said that he can not guarantee that a kragen/autozone would give correct readings, he says they are different from one to the other slightly. He told me to just spend the extra $50, it would be well worth not having future problems....
Before you get a new MAF (after you install a new MAF) you need to set the Barometric pressure (BARO PID) in the MAF. Else it will cause a surge when stopping.

BARO PID values in keep alive memory require updating at high throttle openings. If vehicle is driven down from higher altitudes for diagnosing, complete three or four heavy accelerations at greater than half throttle to allow the BARO PID to update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
Aaron K. said:
No you don't. I ran my stock tune and MAF for several months after I did my 02 exploder swap. The car ran great and I didn't have any idle problems, CELs or anything like that.

.
So then the guys that need the tune are the ones with an upgraded MAF injectors ect??? and the ones that leave the stock maf dont need a new tune?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,977 Posts
You can run a PI swap on the stock program and MAF. You won't get the full potential out of it, but it shoudl run fine.
If you are worried about your MAF, I have one in my 96 that I will gladly trade you if you pay all shipping. Just put mine in and send me your old one back. Mine works fine.
I would also consider getting a new mechanic while you are shopping around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New MAF: Same Problems

well I got a MAF from Aaorn, and it seemed like the motor seemed a bit smoother, however, as soon as I put the car in gear my idle dives down to 500. Completed 4 heavy throttle runs, still low idle.

One question I never really got a straight answer about the PI swap:


What throttle body do I use? I used the PI explorer t/b, but I am starting to think I should strap on my stock Tbird t/b. any comments?
 

·
Fry Rice Specialist
Joined
·
4,794 Posts
tps adjusted correctly? the voltage should be within 0.98-1.02 volts.

wot at 4.3-4.8 volts.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top