TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few days ago, I had to have the bird towed after my friend took it into a curb, doing a good job of bending two wheels on it. Also, some of the lug studs on one of the wheel ended up breaking, causing the rear wheel to tuck under the fender and being otherwise disconnected.

So, I call my AAA towing service to pick the car up, and take it to my family's mechanic. So, about an hour later the truck shows up, and I tell him no way he is towing my car with a regular truck, so i tell him to get a flatbed. The flatbed comes, and these hillbilly guys think they are going to jack the car up with a floorjack. They eventually get the car on the truck, and they end up taking the wheel from under the fender, and putting a block of wood under the rear drum to support the car.

So, they say they will meet me at the mechanics where I have to pay them a $55 dollar labor charge, because my towing service doesn't include removing tires or whatever.

So, these guys drive like maniacs down the freeway, and end up beating me to the mechanics shop. My mechanic gary pays them the 55 dollars when they get there, and they leave my car in his lot with the block of wood supporting the rear of the car. So, its like 8pm, and pitch black dark out. The next day my mechanic says the car is all set to be picked up, and I go get it.

I'm checking out the new lug studs, and I notice the rear bumper cover is cracked to hell on the side where the tow drivers tried to jack the car up with their rusty floor jack. So, I ask my mechanic if he noticed it when he started work on the car, and he said it was there when he started. Now, I beleive this guy, my family has taken cars to him for 20 years, and he's the most trustworthy person i've ever dealt with. So, if he dropped the car or something, he would have called me right away.

So, I get on the horn, and call triple A service. They basically blow me off, and say that I have to deal with the Towing company who serviced the car. So, I call these monkeys on the phone, and I get the owner on the phone. He basically says that the towing company always gets blamed for damages, and he's not paying for it. I told him I would report him to triple A, and he told me to go ahead. He says he will call me back in a few days after he talks to his drivers. Basically he blew me off, and he probably won't call me.

So, my bumper cover is cracked and nobody will pay for it, and I'm not sure what to do here. I could probably call up the towing company again ranting and raving, but that probably won't get me far.

I thought that AAA was liable for damages when they subcontract towing company's to come out and tow cars.

I'm just wondering what you fellas would do?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Justin, Call the guy back (at the towing place) and tell him you got an estimate and you will be sending him the bill shortly. Don't ask him! Tell him, and if he tries to give you any grief... let him know that you will be contacting the better buisness bureo (sp?) and talking with your attorny. Don't let that dick treat you like you should be sorry when he should appolgizing to you and trying to make the situation better, let him know that your mad and fed up with it...! The same thing happened to me after my accident. I don't know if you remember, but my tail pipes hang out the back of my bird about 2 in. or so and when I got it towed (on a flatbed) they ended up messing them up pretty bad (bent and scratched up). The thing that sucked the most is that the exhaust was only a few days old :( . But they paid me the $$$ to have new tips welded up anyway:D. Good luck man, Nothing pi$$es me off more than a buisness that has the motto "we're always right"

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
If you or your mechanic signed a waiver, then the towing company is not liable. Find out about this first, and if no waiver was signed, do what SC_Steve suggested. That is what I would do!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Don't let your friends drive your car. Good luck with the rest.

Thomas

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you can't get the towing company to pay for it I would surely look at your friend and ask him too! I personally won't let anyone drive my car no matter what. I let the girlfriend drive it twice and I hated it but I guess you have to keep them happy.

If this persons a friend he should come forth with the money to fix it. Even though he didn't do it, he caused it to happen by a chain of events.

I watch Judge Judy everyday, trust me on this one.

-Tim

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
Tim, that is good advice, but Justin shouldn't pay anything, the friend should be paying the whole bill.

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok,
you guys, my friend happens to be my girlfriend, i should have made that more clear. Therefore, i would not make her pay for it.

I'm waiting to hear from the towing company, then i'll call them up again and complain.

Thanks for the ideas
Justin

·
Registered
571 Posts
JustinH said:
ok,
you guys, my friend happens to be my girlfriend, i should have made that more clear. Therefore, i would not make her pay for it.

I'm waiting to hear from the towing company, then i'll call them up again and complain.

Thanks for the ideas
Justin
Give em hell :ztoohot: Good Luck! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts