TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm supposed to go to my brother's house tomorrow but my car's running like hell. I'm pretty sure it's the front passenger O2 sensor as I've replaced all the others. I haven't had any success as of yet in finding a method of removing it. I need to know what everyone else has done. Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
first of all i would use an o2 socket. if u dont have one autozone loans tham out. That will save your knuckles from gettin bloody.

i used a 1/4 inch rachet, couple extensions, 2 univesals one before the 02 socket, one inbetween the extentions. It takes time to line everything up but it does work.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I would personally reccomend something more than a 1/4 drive ratchet. At least use a 3/8 and probably a breaker bar will work best.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't have an Autozone here. Could I buy one at Advance or NAPA?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, am I going to be able to get a ratchet into that tight space? I do have one with a pivot head and extendable handle if it'll work. Think it's a 3/8" drive.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i dunno u try to get something "bigger" In that tight space. Forget the breaker bar idea. I know that for a fact

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, breaker bars and such are not the solution. I went to NAPA and picked up the socket. I found the one on their website, it wasn't marked. I found another one with a 3/8" drive, $11.99. I managed to get the socket onto the sensor, and that's all the further I can get. There's NO room whatsoever to actually turn the ratchet! You can't fit a 7/8" end wrench onto it either like it says, but even if you could, I still wouldn't be able to turn the socket. I need ideas, quick. If I can't figure anything out in an hour or so, I'm gonna say forget it and make the 2 1/2 hour drive as it is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a 'tard. Blackbird, I didn't see your message about linking together extensions and u-joints until after I posted my last response. I ran to Ace and picked up a set of u-joints. Snapped a pin in one removing the old sensor. Anyway, in the time since my last message, I got it all done. I started it up and revved it a little, but it didn't sound any better. I think that's just because I forgot to reset the computer... d'oh! I've got the battery disconnected now, so I guess I'll see how it all works out. I'm goin' on my trip whether it runs right or not. The hesitation doesn't start until around 2500 RPM, and I'll be on highways the whole way. So, thanks Blackbird, and everyone else who contributed. I'll let y'all know later if this did any good.

·
Registered
193 Posts
hey no prob... just an idea if u still have the 2500 hessiation/ \miss.... i did and it was my plug wires and plugs. i cant get a set of wires to last over 14 months. good thing i have lifetime ones at autozone.

or maybe maf/air leak on your intake tube

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
When I replaced mine, I used a flare wrench, that I cut in half.
It took forever to get the sensor out, as you can only turn the wrench a little bit at a time. Plus, having big hands doesn't help either....lol

Short of dropping the exhaust, I don't know of another way to do it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I used a regular open end wrench... I was barely able to get it in there and move it enough to get it loose, and then backed it out the rest of the way by hand...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts