TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 98 Lincoln Mark VIII I have to take apart the intake to clean the IMRC's. I know i have the worst intake manifold in the world, but the Cobra manifold is getting expensive and a little difficult to find, plus I need to be able to get this done in 1 day and I'm getting married so the budget for fun is very tight. I've read that the ports are biased on the 2nd gen intake. Can I gasket match the lower to the IMRCs and the upper plenum, and maybe match the throttle body? Im hoping this could yield some extra power Im not expecting Cobra manifold power but I'll take anything I can get. If I can make them a perfect port match do I have to worry about reversion or will I be ok?

Registered
Ok, let's get into reality....... back in the days of carbs, intakes were very, very critical as both gas & air was sent through the intake and mixed before going into the cylinder...... a good intake, mixed the A/F well and created an intake charge to help cylinder filling. Today, intakes (EFI) only have air pass through them.... the engine either gets enough or it doesn't..... unless you are talking racing conditions where if you are in the mid-range (rpm) ... you need GPS because you are lost...馃榿!

But, a little cleanup on casting flash, sure, that will help, but unless you are running at 6k+ rpm, swapping intakes will be a nothing gain except for bling and bragging rights.

Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
Ok, let's get into reality....... back in the days of carbs, intakes were very, very critical as both gas & air was sent through the intake and mixed before going into the cylinder...... a good intake, mixed the A/F well and created an intake charge to help cylinder filling. Today, intakes (EFI) only have air pass through them.... the engine either gets enough or it doesn't..... unless you are talking racing conditions where if you are in the mid-range (rpm) ... you need GPS because you are lost...馃榿!

But, a little cleanup on casting flash, sure, that will help, but unless you are running at 6k+ rpm, swapping intakes will be a nothing gain except for bling and bragging rights.
The carb will deliver however much fuel you meter it for, you buy an aftermarket intake manifold for a carb engine it鈥檚 still at the end of the day primarily to increase airflow. All EFI does is take away the need to keep fuel droplets in suspension with the air, but there absolutely are variables to manifold design that will disrupt, add turbulance, slow down or speed up airflow by itself, and like carb intakes some are better at others for performance than others.

Car companies don鈥檛 use various different intake manifolds on the same basic engine family in different applications for bragging rights. A Cobra intake will absolutely put up bigger numbers on a Dyno than a Gen II intake, and much more with matching Cobra cams

Registered
The carb will deliver however much fuel you meter it for, you buy an aftermarket intake manifold for a carb engine it鈥檚 still at the end of the day primarily to increase airflow. All EFI does is take away the need to keep fuel droplets in suspension with the air, but there absolutely are variables to manifold design that will disrupt, add turbulance, slow down or speed up airflow by itself, and like carb intakes some are better at others for performance than others.

Car companies don鈥檛 use various different intake manifolds on the same basic engine family in different applications for bragging rights. A Cobra intake will absolutely put up bigger numbers on a Dyno than a Gen II intake, and much more with matching Cobra cams
Agree...but, when for a stock or relatively stock street engine need a manifold that is designed for 3500-9000 rpm on an engine whose powerband is 2000-5000 and even with a cam, head change, etc., if you're running on the street, the cobra intake will degrade the engines performance since the power-bands of let's say a street type aftermarket grind 9cam0 will shift the power band to 2500-6500... with a redline in the 7000 range... and mind you, we're talking a Mark VIII engine, that even with that oem intake manifold (when Ford engineers changed the software) that engine ran 180 mph in that car at Boneville.... with no other mods....that intake is not at all restrictive, it will flow everyhting that engine can injests... unless the CID is and/or rpm's are dramatically changed. Then do a flow bench comparison of the Cobra vs the Boss vs the Oem.... HRM did both a bench and dyno test a few years ago... and they were surprised.... look online for the docs...it's surprising to some, not to others...... ands the Big Performance parts were not the "winners" in a street application

1 - 4 of 4 Posts