TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the DS today to install my mark viii shaft when I notice the tailshaft gasket and seal are leaking.

So I figure I'll replace the gasket, seal, and bushing while I got the shaft out.

Well one the shaft is out I notice the tailshaft is flopping in the breeze!

I mean the bolts are beyond loose!

then I notice the output shaft of the trans flops all over the place by about .5" on either side! :beek:

So - my question is - is the trans shot? - I've been getting lots of highway vibes from the car.

It's a stock tranny with 105K on it - never been rebuilt - stock gears.

I only have another week before the car needs to be on the road - so can I put in a new tailshaft bushing/gasket/seal and hope it makes it till summer?

·
Registered
790 Posts
You are saying that before you dropped the tranny (or after) you were taking the tailshaft housing off and discovered that the bolts were not tight and that the tailshaft itself has "play" in it. If that is correct, it definetly would cuase vibes, the tailhousing is what keeps the drivline in place along with the tailshaft.......you should not be able to flop the tailshaft around and wiggle it.....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SilverFox said:
You are saying that before you dropped the tranny (or after) you were taking the tailshaft housing off and discovered that the bolts were not tight and that the tailshaft itself has "play" in it. If that is correct, it definetly would cuase vibes, the tailhousing is what keeps the drivline in place along with the tailshaft.......you should not be able to flop the tailshaft around and wiggle it.....
Yes tail housing could be wiggled by hand - and so could the tailshaft

I know it's not good - but my question is, will the tranny last much longer with it's tailshaft flopping around like that?

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
It's normal for the output shaft to have some movement in it until the yoke is inserted into the extension housing.
JL

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
While we're on this subject:

JL, can you just pull the tailshaft housing and replace the tailshaft bushing like most older transmissions? Grasshopper has been hunting a vibration problem, and I checked it out on Sunday when I put in his trac-lock, and he has quite a bit of movement with his yolk in the tailshaft. I've pulled them on older transmissions, guess it would be the same on this one?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rich95XR7 said:
While we're on this subject:

JL, can you just pull the tailshaft housing and replace the tailshaft bushing like most older transmissions? Grasshopper has been hunting a vibration problem, and I checked it out on Sunday when I put in his trac-lock, and he has quite a bit of movement with his yolk in the tailshaft. I've pulled them on older transmissions, guess it would be the same on this one?
Yes it can - in fact I pressed a new one in my extension housing today.

link to the bushing

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=27645&Category_Code=AODbu

and seal

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=27406A&Category_Code=AODs

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Cool, thanks. Just never cracked open a 4R70W yet, guess this will be another first for me.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rich95XR7 said:
Cool, thanks. Just never cracked open a 4R70W yet, guess this will be another first for me.
They tend to seize in the housing - sometimes a press won't even budge them-

Just use a reciprocating saw to slice through the bushing on one of the three spots where there is a cavity behind the bushing.

Credit goes to Johnny Langton for that tip - saved me alot of time today

Then just push the new one in - I think I used a 1/2" drive 32mm impact socket to push it with.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I use a bushing cutter to cut the bushing, it is very easy to do because of the grooves in it. Clean the housing with a die grinder, and then warm it up a little, that will make the bushing much easier to install without doing damage. Use a little green loctite on the bushing when you put it back in.
Alan

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Bump...
As Rich mentioned previously, he thinks that's where my vibe is. I got a bushing and a seal (I think I also need to go get a gasket...) and am planning the fix.
Do I have to drain the tranny to remove the extension housing? Manual says so...but the manual also says that I have to drop the gastank to remover the DS. :bs:
Now if weren't so dang cold...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grasshopper said:
Bump...
As Rich mentioned previously, he thinks that's where my vibe is. I got a bushing and a seal (I think I also need to go get a gasket...) and am planning the fix.
Do I have to drain the tranny to remove the extension housing? Manual says so...but the manual also says that I have to drop the gastank to remover the DS. :bs:
Now if weren't so dang cold...

You need a gasket for the housing but won't find it anywhere but ford - I just use "Make a gasket" works fine everytime.

You should drain the tranny to minimize fluid rushing out the tailshaft when you remove the slip yoke.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'd tighten the tailshaft up once you replace the bushing/gasket/seal and see how much play there is in the yoke once it's in place. There is always some movement, but I suspect most of it will go away once the housing is stable.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
That kind of stinks that you have to buy new Mercon V just to do all that.
Ok. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Silver95Bird said:
I'd tighten the tailshaft up once you replace the bushing/gasket/seal and see how much play there is in the yoke once it's in place. There is always some movement, but I suspect most of it will go away once the housing is stable.

my seal was leaking bad so I went ahead and replaced it and the bushing

they were only like $1.50 each from bukparts so I splurged :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts