TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a 97 cougar with the 4.6L v8. It's got 110k miles and I was wondering what are some of the typical problems with this engine? Btw, I know the 3.8 really well but nothing about the v8.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Doesn't really have any make sure it has a good waterpump and that the intake isn't cracked Thats about it the alternators go out you will likely find more problems in the brakes suspension and drivetrain than anywhere in that motor.
Alan

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks Alan for the quick reply. The brakes, suspension and drivetrain I know well. Yup, if I get this car; the first thing I'll do is replace the front end links, irs bushings, struts, and maybe motor mounts. The water pump and alternator would be a wise too.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
you konw what, I should have asked the same question. I just boat a 94 T with 140 miles on it. I changed the plugs and wires fuel filter and eec, That is about it.

Perch you mentioned a few things on the above post is there anything else to look for?
Thanx in advance

·
Registered
112 Posts
The motors last long if maintained, BUT Infrequent oil changes will result in fuel bore wash contaminating the oil. The contaminated oil will cause EVERYTHING (bearings, everything in the valvetrain/chain assembly, cam bores) to wear excessively. There was literally NOTHING lubricated with oil that was usable when my 150k motor was torn down, the builder and I were both shocked by the wear. Use caution on a high-mileage modular engine if you can't verify proper oil maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Yeah... I have 87K on my 96 and the upper balljoints have been cracked for abotu 3K now... I've seriously gotta find time to put my new control arms and bushings on... I'll probably do it when I put new tires on since its going to have to be alligned anyway.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great replies. I have a major update. I didn't get that cougar with 110k, I got one with just 68k. I still cant believe what a great find I got. This is a green xr7 sport with the 4.6 (service record show intake has already been replaced). The interior(green too) is flawless and the exterior looks great. I think maybe it's been repainted the same original color. Today I replaced the front rotors and pads to get rid of that wheel shake when you step on the brakes. I noticed that the bushings between the strut rod and lca need replacing. It looks like the steel underneath the rubber has rusted and swollen. But you cant tell anything is wrong by the way it rides.

Anyway, if you're still reading this I just would like to say 'hi' to all the folks here in the 4.6 forum. I'm going to keep my old cougar with the 3.8. My friends tease me that one cougar's to drive while I'm working on the other. :D
Allan

·
Registered
112 Posts
keeping the second car is a damn good idea if you're going to mod or work on the other. I got some of my best car buys that way . . . looking at one, but not sure . . .

BTW, not to be a boo-bird or anything, but if the interior looks REALLY new, too-good-to-be-true new, like there is no wear at all on the seats (I mean, someone had to be sitting in it and getting in and out to drive 68k) make sure it wasn't replaced bc of RECENT water or flood damage . . . if you get my point. I assume from the title history you can trace where it has been, location wise, for the past year. Texas law (and most other states) requires them to tell you if it was a flood rebuild, but check if you haven't. Carfax costs but it's a good service for telling you exactly where the car has been.
Texas DOT has it's own little site on flood damage:
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/flood/flddamg.htm
National (insurance) VIN Database including recent hurricane-affected vehicles:
http://www.nicb.org/

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Congrats on the car!

I have an 89 LS with 160k miles that I drive when I am working on my 97 Sport. I just did the entire front end on the 89, so I can spend some quality time on the 97. Everyone else (including my wife) think it is odd to have multiple cars of the same model, but it costs me 240 dollars a year to insure it, and it gets a little worse mileage than the 97, but not that much worse.

Now I can put in the PI cams, and maybe get something done with the exhaust, and some other nagging things on the 97.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The new car is from Illinois, one previous owner. It runs and looks like it's new inside and out. I checked the service history and the only things I found were a trouble with the alarm going off when you use the remote to lock the doors and the intake cracked and was replaced. The interior is too good to be true. The carpet has a small bit of wear but that's about all. The car has been repainted though and it's a mediocre(sp?) paint job. It's got a bit more orange peel than you'd get from a factory job and there are several dust nibs (I think that's what they are called). This is where a bit of dust or something lands in the wet paint.

Anyway, Bangster is right on target. I've now got my sights set on the old cougar with the 3.8. I've got a stage 2 powerpak from Super 6 that's going to go in and then it's off to the paint shop. Btw, I've been buying all the trim for the 92 for the past several months. I've got just about everything external to the car and it's all authentic ford parts. For example, new bumper covers, all new lights, new chrome tape, side body moulding, grill, the plastic at the bottom of the windshield, rear window gasket and lots more. Most all of this was the very last one in the nation. And one more thing, I've got a lentech aod going in too. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts