TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Mercury Cougar 30th Anniversary 3.8L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are very gunked up and I do not have any idea how to tackle this obvious chore. Any advice on cleaning products and tools to help clean them?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,263 Posts
Lacy spoke... are those the early Mark VIII snowflake wheels that had the inset segments painted black? A local buddy of mine had three 30ths and if I recall correctly, each had those...

If so, my 93 Mark had those (in fact I have a different set I use as my winter set on my 98, ironic considering the nickname) and the front two were horribly crudded up with caked on brake dust. I used Meguiar's Hot Rims wheel cleaner (the pink bottle) to help dissolve and scrub that crap off. It took a while and lots of elbow grease, but it worked. Soak, scrub, rinse, repeat....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, It sounds like this one.

https://flic.kr/p/rTqW55

I don't currently use a special wheel cleaner, but when I did, I used Eagle One with good results. Also, I highly recommend the Mothers Wheel Brush, especially for a wheel like this. It will make the job a whole lot easier.

·
Administrator
8,664 Posts
Bought this for mine a few years back, works well.

Joe

·
Registered
1997 Mercury Cougar 30th Anniversary 3.8L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I might actually finally clean them now! Have owned the car for about 2-1/2 years & I actually assumed all that gunk was stuck on them for good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts