TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 1995 thunderbird with a 4.6 and it had no forward gears when i bought it. Now before I get a raft of you know what let me say i have tried the search and have been reading trans threads for days now. I have pulled the trans and tore it down and the only problem I can see is the clutches are burnt and no longer have any friction material left. I guess I should mention that the previous owner had got the car stuck in the snow and that is when the trans failed. It is also a ford reman but i dont know how long ago it was put in. So my question is do you guy think a standard rebuild will fix this or is there something else i need to look at closer. If a rebuild will do who sells a good kit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Give Dirtydog a shout he's got a good rebuild kit.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I just bought my 1995 thunderbird with a 4.6 and it had no forward gears when i bought it. Now before I get a raft of you know what let me say i have tried the search and have been reading trans threads for days now. I have pulled the trans and tore it down and the only problem I can see is the clutches are burnt and no longer have any friction material left. I guess I should mention that the previous owner had got the car stuck in the snow and that is when the trans failed. It is also a ford reman but i dont know how long ago it was put in. So my question is do you guy think a standard rebuild will fix this or is there something else i need to look at closer. If a rebuild will do who sells a good kit.
If it has no forward gears at all and the clutches are burnt, I'd guess the pump is shot. I third Tbird64 and Grog6 - talk to DirtyDog, he's the TC man around here. Between him and Alan, they'll set you up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts