TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please reply with pics!

Now that all that obsolete remote start wiring is gone, it's time to add some new wiring :p

Well, and I picked up a few pieces from the junkyard because they were so cheap, I had to.

I have one single-color (blueish turquoise) strip which is about 6" long. From Jaguar XF front door panel. I only have one because...yours truly broke the other. I think this strip would work best for center console storage compartment illumination.

I have two RGB strips which are about 10" long. From Mini Cooper door panel. I only plan to use the green lead though. I'm not sure what to use these for, but front door pockets come to mind. I'm not a huge fan of illuminated foot space; I find it a bit distracting but I'm willing to reconsider.

So I need ideas. Please show me examples of ambient lighting installations in your cars.

Thanks!

· Registered
522 Posts
I found some USB powered small multi color dimmable led panels with remote from Monster for cheap money that I have been messing with, considering the same things you are.
I love the USB...I put USB ports front and back in my car. They feel kid of chintzy being so light, but so far no breakage.

If Interested LMK and I will take and post some photos, send the product info.

Reactions: 1997ThunderbirdLXV6

· Registered
522 Posts
These are from Monster, they come in pairs with the remote and USB cords. One of the cords is "Y" bringing the pair to a central power location.
Colors are R,G,B,W and various shades of all. There are seemingly 7 levels of brightness, dimmable on the remote. Two chintzy little uprights serve as "stands" and they fit to hold the fixtures in the horizontal or vertical.

The fixtures program individually, that is one remote controls each lamp individually. You can have one on and one off or each with a different color or even have each one doing a pre-progammed menu routine enabled by remote for what it is worth.

I was interested because I wanted to try the ambient red cabin light. Pilots use red cabin lamps to keep their pupils from extreme dilation. At night this helps recover clear vision more quickly than white lamps do.

My headliner is dismounted and I have a net in its place. The net keeps these lamps on the ceiling out of the way.

Rocketdog

I bought them at Mall Wart, and they were cheap...about $11.00 for the pair as shown.

I especially like the 5vdc USB power
Photos:

· Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,912 Posts
I used to have this 😂

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the input, ideas, and links.

Ultimately I decided to skip the ambient light idea and just do some functional cubby/storage illumination using the Mini RGB strips; not sure if I'll find use for the Jaguar strip.

Work in progress...

Center console: this one I'll run in yellow I think. The LED element clips onto the clear plastic tip on the outside of the compartment. (For those unfamiliar with my other mod here, that faux suede-covered wood piece screwed into the compartment is my custom armrest support which prevents armrest sagging.)

Cubby: this one will run on green. (That rubber band in there serves to prevent vibration in my phone holder...in case anyone was wondering.)

· Registered
522 Posts
Monster Model MLB7-2013-RGB
Input: 5vdc, 1.0
Output: a whopping 1.5 watts

I hope that helps.

XR7-4.6, as always your take on the subject and project in question is an example of pure car passion. The amount of detail and your attention to it are remarkable. Since I have seen your other work, It's not a huge surprise that you would go the extra mile. I am not sure I am inspired to copy the application but it sure does reassure me that some of my ideas are not that foolish after all.

The rest of my illumination foolishness:

I do have blue led footwell lamps, very helpful and I love them. I have rough wired in visor lamps for 12vdc while searching for the right lamps for ambient light in the visor location. I have 1 extra dome lamp with local control for back seat passengers and am considering another set of the Monster lamps for individual reading lamps like in an airliner. I have installed a USB receptacle with 1) 12vdc and 2) 5vdc USB outputs in each one. One is in front and the second is mounted to the back end of the center console.
Outside there are 2 extra dimes in the trunk with local control and under the hood is the factory gravity switch lamp and I added some white LEDs to really light up the engine bay so I can perform minor maintenance after dark. Everything else is for driving; concealed very bright reverse lamps, LED driving lamps, Halogen driving lamps, LED daytime running lights, yellow led front markers, red led rear markers.

I do want to do some puddle lamps...those look so cool and the in-mirror directional arrows that look so cool as well.

From my experience finding an appliance that is just right for automotive applications is not a matter of going to O'Reilly's and choosing one.

This year I have no choice but to replace the front lamp setup in the Cougar. My header panel disintegrated, all my fiberglass repairs finally fell apart and there is no point trying again. Both my headlamp housings are junk, broken and repaired several times. And both markers are in even worse shape.

Given the less than desirable OEM performance of the original headlamps, I must upgrade the system to todays standard of light output or better. I want to be able to see beyond the shed door in the dark, you know? My problem here is they need to be affordable. TBSC would charge around $500-600 for the panel and the headlights alone. Add the bulbs and harness upgrades and it will be way beyond reach.

I need somebody's used, upgraded and inexpensive kit. With having to replace a fender, door, mirror and fender liner, I am totally strapped going into this Spring.

Sorry for getting so sidetracked, these cars get me wound up and it's hard to stop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts