TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, so my friend was freakin cool and got me a k&n cone filter for me this christmas. problem is idk if it will work as good as the one listed in the tech articles. in the tech article it says get "Part # re-0920 9" cone w/ 3" flange"... he got this

...it's close, and i think it MIGHT work. my question is.. is it worth going back to him and saying "hey, you got me the wrong one. could u get me this one instead?" he asked if it's the right filter or not but i think he got it from ebay and i doubt he can return it that easily. what do i do? he leaves for florida tomorrow morning so i need an answer ASAP!

·
Registered
367 Posts
that would work what i would do though, being its a 3/1/2 inch flange i would get a 3inch to a 3/1/2 inch rubber connector, basically a reducer, like for exhaust systems, some clamps and a 3/1/2 inch bent exhaust pipe 45 or 90 degree and make a cold air kit u'll benifit more with cold air. u wont benfit much just putting that on cause it will be sucking in hot engine heat.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks a lot for the quick reply... that's what i was thinking. the only thing is the 1016 filter's overall dimensions are slightly smaller so i didn't know if the performance would noticeably suffer b/c of that (i doubt it)...

EDIT: wait, wait, the k&n site says that both the re-0920 and rf-1016 are both 3.5in... couldnt i just follow the tech article word for word? (except the 1016 is already at a 10degree angle so i'd have to compensate for that)

·
Registered
367 Posts
yes u can do that. if u going the way of just a short ram since that filter has a bolt on it u can fab up a bracket and and bolt it down, that 10 degree angle isn't much, i had the k&n kit on my car a couple years ago and made a bracket for it and it worked fine.

·
Registered
367 Posts
oh and that filter ur friend got is actually made for the thunderbird if he got the filter kit being that it has the bolt on the filter end, it should have the bracket with it i had the same filter on my car that ur friend got, and it was the kit for the thunderbird and cougars, as far a restrictions wont matter on what filter u get.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well it's not the kit. just the replacement filter for the kit. will i need to fab a bracket? or will it be fine as is? i'm definitely going to angle it more. i also want to make some sort of insulating wall that will keep it from inhaling heat from the engine.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
either make a "L" bracket and leave it in the engine bay and make box or wall or something to insulate it from the heat, or better yet get a 90 degree bent tube either pvc, steel, plastic, something, and some cuplers and put it where the stock air box was getting air from, make sure to yank the air silencer, and bingo you have a true cold air setup

·
Registered
367 Posts
like chris said, i made one for my car i made it out of sheet metal , cut and bent it the way i wanted , then i tac weldin place. i notice it made a defference make the heat sheild before it would hesitate some times, then i built that and it was getting alot better air flow no hesitation

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Yeah definately stick it down in the bumper out of the engine bay. I have no splash guard underneath the car, so I made an aluminum water deflector and mounted it right to the tube, to cover the filter. All that stuff went in the trash when I got my new intake setup, if I still had it I'd show you some pics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts