TCCoA Forums banner

Need Cats?

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  rancherlee 
#1 ·
I have a 90 3.8 and no e-check...Will it increase my power if i cut off the cats and resinator and just put in a pipt to take thier place??? will there still be enough backpressure for the engine to run? Will it make it sound "stupid"? Please help...

#2 ·
You could just put in high flow cats. Don't lose the cats and the resonator. I replaced the dead dual mufflers on my SC with straight pipes. When I get the bucks (OH, GOD, Please have one of those apps for a 2nd job come through.) I'm going to put a 2 1/2 inch exhaust on with high flow components. Yes, I'll put mufflers back on. The wife complains the car is too loud. (I DON'T THINK SO!!!)

Actually, Zippy the Squirrel and others think Elvira is too quiet as she is.

#3 ·
im not running cats in my 95 3.8.

i took them off and replaced them with pipes and the car sounds wayyyyy better, and runs better also. I also added dual glasspacks but will be changing these to flowmasters.

Marvin M.

#4 ·
Re: im not running cats in my 95 3.8.

Marvin M. said:
i took them off and replaced them with pipes and the car sounds wayyyyy better, and runs better also. I also added dual glasspacks but will be changing these to flowmasters.

Marvin M.
Good idea, I hate glasspacks. Glasspacks P*** me off (trying to imitate Cartman, nobody laughs)

#6 ·
Spike said:
I got glasspack's and I like them :p hehe
Yeah, some people like them, I don't , everyone's got different taste though. Your sig looks much better :rolleyes: , hehe

#7 ·
IMO flowmaster has the best SOUND for a V6 but definatly not the best flowing muffler out there.

#8 ·
Yeah there are <i>sometimes</i> that it sounds high pitched, but like 95% of the time it's good and deep. Sometimes in the mornings when it's cold out and i floor it in 1st gear it rev's a little too quickly and rasps. It isn't too loud for highway driving either, i don't even hear it. I'm maybe even thinking about taking the mufflers off completely and getting long arse 3 or 3.5" tips... it wouldn't be that much louder than what i got now, but probably deeper...

#9 ·
I wasn't knocking flowmaster though, thats what I run, I'll give up a few HP to have a nicer sounding car. That and a dual 2.25" in single 3" flowmaster flows good enough to not be a restriction on my car, actually TOO good...............

#13 ·
black90gt1 said:
So what is the verdict. Should that cats be removed or should they stay.
I'd stick with them, or if you want to get rid of stock ones, get high flowing ones atleast.

black90gt1 said:
Also will this have any effect on the oxygen sensors?
If you have OBDII, yes you will have Check Engine light on (any 96 and newer cars have it, but I think that 94-95 4.6 birds have them too though), older cars don't have OBDII and shouldn't give you O2 sensor problems, altough on my 94 3.8 when I gutted my cats I had problems with EGR (found out there wasn't enough backpressure and the EGR sensor wasn't getting enough exhaust to work properly , fix was: drilling an adapter)

#18 ·
Since everyones throwing around their opinions on mufflers. I think almost nothing sounds good on a V6. Which is why you should go with Raptors, excellent performance but still keep your car fairly quiet. and they're cheap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.