TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks! I just wanted to solicit some recommendations on chips.

I have a '94 Cougar, 4.6L, and the AED supercharger, which I had installed about a year and a half ago and is doing fine.

I have done some searching on the net and I noticed that RFF Performance offers a chip specifically programmed for the Allen SC kit. Does anyone have any experience/opinions on this company, as far as product performance and business integrity goes? (Yes, I am concerned about the latter. The last time I tried to order a chip was from Customchips. I ordered a chip from them that they said would take 2-3 weeks to program and ship. A month passed and when I called them, a fellow by the name of Mr. Santoro said my chip was ready to be packaged, but it had to be programmed by Jerry, and he was not available as he was working in Bendix. After another month passed by and still no chip, I called my credit card company to get reimbursed. I took it as a sign and decided to turn my attention to other mods. But now, I am seriously considering a chip again, but from a reputable company.)

Are there any other chip brands that I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

·
8,239 Posts
Joe Santoro is a scam artist scum who burned alot of us, including myself.

Dom at RFF is excellent to deal with as I hear.

Justin

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
I know Dom personally,and speak with him at least once weekly if not more.You will get what you order and in a timely manner from him.
JL

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Joe ripped off a lot of people including me. I delt with the BBB and there was still nothing I can do so I was short $150. Oh well.

I hear Dom is pretty good with the chips too. There are a few people here that know him personaly and say he is a great guy with great service. I think his prices are also pretty good too. Dom is www.rffperformance.com

Just to let you know there were some other threads with chip info. Here is the other companies, besides RFF Performance, that are recomended if you want a different one for any reason:
apten-us.com
reinhartautomotive.com
Fordchip.com

Dont get a chip by any other company.

Your car sounds pretty cool. Got any pics of 1/4 mile times yet?

-Shawn

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Yet another dissatisfied Joe Santoro victim, er um I mean customer :(
I bought a chip from him for my 95 - I put it in... it threw a MIL in <15 minutes, increased the line pressure to who knows what, made the shift points very high, I can't even remember what else. All that and it's on a superchip blank, which almost nobody uses. At least I got a product out of him, many didn't even get that much.

*sigh*

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shawn40th said:

Your car sounds pretty cool. Got any pics of 1/4 mile times yet?

-Shawn
I wish I had. But I usually work on the nights when my local race track has open drag. The rest of the days of the week, they have events scheduled. Maybe someday,...

But to tell you the truth, I'm not all that obsessed with 1/4 mile times anyway. It's probably not as good as it could be since I'm hauling around a 900 watt stereo system w/ 2 12" JL subs bolted in the trunk. Even with that load tho, and with street tires, my AED-equipped Cat eats Mustang GTs for breakfast. And it more than holds its own with Cobras and Z28s. Other than the Borla catback, the exterior is bone stock, making it the perfect sleeper for the stoplight drag wars. I've lost count of how many drivers have had their jaws drop wide open after they've been smoked by what they thought would be a sitting duck.:D

I want to thank everyone for their input thus far. Having contemplated the matter of chips for over a year now, I pretty much knew about avoiding "off the shelf" product from operations like Superchips and Jet. Would anyone care to offer comparisons/pros & cons between Fordchip, apten, reinhart, and Rff. Basically, what are the differences in the performances and the features, if there are any. Once again, TIA!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Redondos said:

Would anyone care to offer comparisons/pros & cons between Fordchip, apten, reinhart, and Rff. Basically, what are the differences in the performances and the features, if there are any. Once again, TIA!
They were all taught by the same person. They are all for the most part the same program. Its all price and service from there. I think some do more then others and some might have tunned more AED's then others. You can email and ask if they have made chips for the AED's and if they can tell you any specs on what it did for them. You can even check the boards for the people that have a AED (look in the Signature info below each post or on the left side of the page under their name) and see or ask what chip they went with.

My friend went with Dennis. He was pretty happy with it. It didnt work right the first try but dennis was pretty good about getting a new working one to him. He can be busy because he also has a shop to run. Pete (forchip) also gets busy but has been doing quite a bit lately. Apten isnt as busy and is a great tunner. Brian (apten) has tunned or chipped many of the fastest SC's around.

If you want more opinions I would say to just wait and you will get more first hand opinions in the replies.

Good luck,
-Shawn

·
Registered
20 Posts
My chip is from Dennis Reinhart. Cost US$350 and got it in 2 or 3 weeks. Plugged it into the EEC and never looked back. Transmission shifts great, no detonation with 91 octane on my 6 pound Allen blower, no check engine light.
As an aside, my chip has a cable hanging off it with a 3 position toggle switch. in 2 of the 3 positions the car runs fine, and on the third it idles very low and rough, and there's a bad exhaust stink. Is there any deliberate purpose to having the settings or having the switch there?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
JustinH said:
Joe Santoro is a scam artist scum who burned alot of us, including myself.

Dom at RFF is excellent to deal with as I hear.

Justin
looks like im one of the only satisfied(kinda) customers from Joe. although, i found a decal shop and had some cool CustomChip Performance decals made and sent them to him and never got a response. i had my old J-chip redone by him and got a refund after it taking 6 weeks. he seemed like a nice guy, oh well, sh!t happens.

jseph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts