TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 5.4 pretty much fell into my lap today. It needs a head and one piston (but I would put in forged rods and pistons). I would take my time and build it myself, then either get all the wiring and everything from a wrecked V8 and put it in my car along with springs and everything else I would need, or just buy a V8 and convert it. I would of course build the 5.4 to make power (aftermarket or ported intake and heads, and cams), however, I am not sure if this the the best way to go as opposed to building my current engine, as far as weight and cost versus the end result (if the 3.8 stays, it WILL have a power adder). The 5.4 I might get will be complete, including engine wiring, sensors, injectors.... A customer of mine is replacing the dead motor with a Ford test motor with about 8 hours on it that we found through a supplier. I don't know much about the Mod motors, and am most worried about the weight (I like my "light" V6), and the final cost when I end up finishing everything. Any help to be given would be awesome, as I have to know if I want it within the next couple of days, or else it goes back as a core. Oh yeah, it is off a 99 F-150 with about 160K miles. It ran great until the incident (he took it to someone else for a tune up to a couple bucks. Oops.). Anyone know how much a Bird weighs with a 5.4 in it? Thanks.

·
Registered
921 Posts
OK.... This will get very very ugly in the next few days I think... but I will give you all the truths I can.
1) A 5.4L is heavier.
2) It makes the same horsepower as the 4.6L style v8(npi to npi, pi to pi) and a fair amount more torque.
3) It makes it's power down low
4) No one has ever attempted a full blown racing 5.4L SOHC setup(in the MN12 platform to the best of my knowlege).
5) Controversy regarding the 2v heads on a N/A setup and something about poor flow vs a 4.6L.
6) It's a pretty custom job that requires extending wires in places, cutting hoods(unless the low pro intake comes out), and mix and match parts to get it to fit.
7) Tunes are critical, it will not run for crap with a 4.6L tune, tables, etc.
8) A power adder is a good thing
9) J. Miller has a website that can get you started on some of the basic's.
10) No one has proven a 5.4L can or can not make power. Engineers claim it won't, and some "reputable" names claim it can't either.

J. Miller, Leland Jacobson, and Gecko2424 are guys that I know on this forum have the 5.4L actually intalled. They can help with the technical stuff. If you want to go fast, I am inclined to say that your "light" 3.8 may be the best bang for the buck as you've already got it and have it installed. I do not know the cost of parts for the 3.8L, but have a small fortune invested in my new mod motor.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hey! well said , Doug.... You cannot make power with a 5.4, but I will settle for my 314 peak RWHP at 6 lbs boost for now, :D and am still experimenting with it ... As a streeter I would rather have a 5.4 than a 4.6 any day trim for trim, and there are actually guys who can tune them properly, but ya gotta find them. you will not be able to contain the tork of a 5.4 with a 3.8 drivetrain, and frorget about even useing a stock marauder T/C as they dont hold up too well, also rear tires, which , for some reason like to show cord instead of thread suddenly .If you are a decent mechanic, it shouldnt be that hard to do, but theres a lotta little stuff you will have to contend with, and it should be regarded as a long term project, as you will not have one up and running over a couple weekends. Good luck, whatever you decide

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, we got the new replacement motor, and had to switch a lot more over than what we originally thought (2005 motor vs.99 truck), so I decided to hold off on paying the core and keeping the old motor. I would have ended up with a bunch of parts I can't use, and a tired block. Also, I did some research and found people that put the 5.4 into Thunderbirds and Mustangs, and was not impressed with the results I saw. Thanks for the help.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Leland brings up a good point about the driveline. If you swap ANY v-8 in that car you will need a different trans (or rebuild that one with more clutch packs) and a new pumpkin and halfshafts. Then there is the issue of your front springs not supporting the increased weight

·
8,239 Posts
right for what these cars cost, you are best off starting with a v8 car. You are going to be replacing everything, its just a matter of how much at once, and how much later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts