TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car threw code p0430, I am hoping its not the cats. The car has all the original exhaust an 160,000 miles. I have searched a bit on here but need some guidance. The car runs fine, and hasnt popped the code back up after I reset it and about 50 miles. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
My car threw code p0430, I am hoping its not the cats. The car has all the original exhaust an 160,000 miles. I have searched a bit on here but need some guidance. The car runs fine, and hasnt popped the code back up after I reset it and about 50 miles. Any thoughts? Thanks
Its not exactly the number of miles you drive - you need to drive under the right conditions for the PCM to run the Catalyst Monitor .. but yeah most of the time its a bad catalytic converter. I would switch your rear o2 sensors from side to side and see if it changes to a P0420 code .. if it does its your sensor, if it comes back as a P0430, you need a new cat.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
FWIW, my Mark VIII has 210,000 and as far as I know, has the original exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Here's my input, I threw that exact code numerous times. I replaced my rear O2's, but the code came back. So literally last week, I scored a Magnaflow cat system, had it put in by my local shop and code has not reappeared. Just my $.02

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just for the record, that doesn't automatically mean the converter is bad. It means that bank 2 isn't outputting the right emissions. Could be a small exhaust leak triggering it. Could be a vacuum leak on bank 2. At the very worst, it's the converter. Don't replace it until you're 100% sure it's bad

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Just for the record, that doesn't automatically mean the converter is bad. It means that bank 2 isn't outputting the right emissions. Could be a small exhaust leak triggering it. Could be a vacuum leak on bank 2. At the very worst, it's the converter. Don't replace it until you're 100% sure it's bad
+1

Here is how the computer works with regards to O2 readings.

It compares the output from your upstream sensor to your downstream sensor.
There is a range that the signal difference should fall into. If that difference falls outside that programmed acceptable range, the light is triggered.

It's that simple. So as 96MN12Bird stated, the cause could be a lot of other reasons.
I replaced my two front cats when I suspected they were bad only to find it wasn't the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Here's my input, I threw that exact code numerous times. I replaced my rear O2's, but the code came back. So literally last week, I scored a Magnaflow cat system, had it put in by my local shop and code has not reappeared. Just my $.02
Everyone is correct, to clarify for "me" specifically, my driver cat was definitely diagnosed bad. Hence why I ended up going the route I did.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Fords tend to have a really high margin differentiation in the monitor ( that compares the pre-cat sensor to the post-cat sensor ) for what they consider efficient. Oxygen sensors dont monitor emissions, they measure oxygen to determine the air/fuel ratio. The code could be set and the car may still "pass" on the the 5 gas analyzer.

If it were an exhaust leak it would have to be between the pre-cat sensor or the post cat sensor. An exhaust leak before the Pre-cat sensor could send a false lean signal resulting in fueling compensation. Same with the vacuum leak ( unless youre talking about the vacuum of the exhaust leak between the sensors ) .. a vacuum leak upstream of the Pre-cat o2 sensor that put the fuel trims out of range would result in a different code.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts