TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
the motor in my 95 t-bird 4.6 is making some strange noise since about a week or so..

it look like its coming from the bottom of the motor...
i took of the belt to make sure it was from the motor itself and it is

my mechanic told me it sounds like the cam...

the problem is when i rev the engine around 1500-3000 it makes some noise like pigging or cracking it doesnt sound healty at all

can you guys help me
my mechanic told me it would be better for me to swap the engine but im kinda low on cash right now and i only have a week or so to do that....

anyways thx a lot

cya
ps: i did a quick search on the forum and i didnt found anything like this....

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
*scratches head* how can it be the cam if the noise is coming from the bottom of the engine? did he mean the crank? noises like this are pretty hard to diagnose without being there to listen to it, but we'll give it a try.:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the mechanic told me that so...

its a loud noise so you cant really pin point where its coming from so...
and the motor seems to run fine it doesnt shake at all...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well hes pretty sure its the cam
i dont really know what it is... its not knocking its just like a valve clicking... but real bad

·
Registered
890 Posts
take a 3' piece of garden hose, hold one end to your ear and hold the other end near various locations on the motor. That should help you narrow down where the noise is coming from.

Let us know what you find

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
^^ I use a long screw driver...(standerd works the best) Put it to the engine and the plastic to your ear... makes a great stethiscope.

Mine has a bad "Lifter" type sound, gets really loud when I tromp in it.

Kinda sounds like a exaust manifold gasket is leaking... And it might be, havent had the time to check.

MG

·
Registered
921 Posts
I got one that perplexes me. Sound is from the drivers side, and it's a metallic buzzing sound. I checked out the heatshield on the cat but it seemed fine to me. only does it between 1000-3500 rpm.... wierd car it is....

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm not sure, but does it sound like metal being crunched or grinded against eachother under load? My Bird does that if I leave it sit for awhile then drive it... But it could be that ratchet socket I dropped in a crevice and never found... :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts