TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car has a 1995 Transmission, with 55k miles on it - fresh fluid, and everything was working great until today.

The OD light had been blinking every so often, but not all the time for the last couple weeks.

On the freeway today, the car wouldnt shift into 3rd gear. When it got off the freeway, it just wouldnt go anywhere. So the car was shut off, and re-started, and it limped to a side street not too far away.

We tried driving it around the parking lot, and it went into what felt like 1st gear at first ( maybe it was 2nd ? ) .. and then it felt like it went into neutral .. after that it just wouldnt go anywhere. No gears, even in manual 2nd it wouldnt move anywhere, and no Reverse at all. The rpm's change when it is put into Park or Neutral, and when it is in a gear, it doesnt really feel like its going into any gear.

Also it sounds like there is a buzzing sound coming from the transmission.

Any ideas what could be wrong ?? Need to get this car back on the road ASAP
Do we need another new transmission ? Could it be electronic ? Loose Valve Body ? Bad EPC solenoid ?????

Thanks

- Dan

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes not good .. it has no Reverse, and doesnt feel like it has any gears at all. Occasionally, it will drive in what feels like 1st gear, but then it just revs like its in neutral.

Possibly something broken inside ?? What would cause that buzzing ? Bad TC ? Input shaf, etc ??

Fluid still smells and looks fresh.

- Dan

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking maybe EPC solenoid .. but I would still think the car would move even if that wasnt getting power ?? Its just not going forward or reverse at all.

The car is being towed to my house later tonight so I can check it out when I have time .. I was going to test the circuits and see if the solenoids are okay, and getting power ... other than that, I think maybe something is broken inside of the transmission ...

:confused:

- Dan

·
Registered
316 Posts
before this happened, the 1-2 shift felt like it might be going out. it wouldnt shift until 3k rpms or more. usually more.

and if i floored it, it would redline, until i backed off and then it shifted.

·
5,650 Posts
I was thinking maybe EPC solenoid .. but I would still think the car would move even if that wasnt getting power ?? Its just not going forward or reverse at all.

The car is being towed to my house later tonight so I can check it out when I have time .. I was going to test the circuits and see if the solenoids are okay, and getting power ... other than that, I think maybe something is broken inside of the transmission ...

:confused:

- Dan
I think if the EPC is gone, the trans ain't movin'.

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pump had crossed my mind ... No fluid or pressure and I dont see how it can activate any of the servos or accumulators to get into any gears. Maybe EPC, maybe the pump ....

This tranny was leaking fluid at the dipstick at one point, got a little low ( slipped on right hand turns ) .. put more fluid in, fixed the dipstick ...

And apparently, it was having the late shift on the 1-2 .. and more fluid was added. To the point where it was coming out of the dipstick. Hmmmmm

Plus that OD light that was flashing intermittently .... guess the computer knew something was going to happen if it wasnt taken care of.

- Dan

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked resistance on the EPC solenoid .. its showing about 4.6-4.8 ohms .. not too far out of spec. Jerry's specs say 3.3-3.9 .. but I have 3 known good EPC solenoids that are all at 4.3. Hmmm

The car will drive in forward AND reverse when you first start it up, then it just wont go anywhere after that. In manual 2nd gear, it will barely move if you rev the engine up to about 3k rpm's.

Anybody else have any thoughts ????

- Dan

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nobody knows anything ?? Never had a similar issue ?

Need to check the fluid level, but it should be full ( or over filled ) .. Then Im going to disconnect the transmission cooler lines from the radiator later today and run the engine to see if fluid comes out .. if nothing comes out, im guessing the pump is fubar.

What would be the signs of a bad Torque converter ?

- Dan

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Everything you describe is the symptoms of a bad front pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts