TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok driving tonight......car starts studdering really bad........runs like total crap.......pulled the dipstick and it smells like pure fuel......the exhaust smells like pure gas.....and it's blowing white smoke everywhere. What do you guys think is going on?

-Derrick-

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured i had blew a piston ring or something............and like i said i pulled the oil dipstick and it smells like pure fuel, so that why i figured that. Anyone else? ideas?

-Derrick-

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
or its in relation to the coil pack that was cracked in half...

bad maf maybe? i mean minus the white smoke kinda what it seems like

·
Registered
921 Posts
If the exhaust smells like pure gas, your not getting a burn, if your oil smells like gas, your getting gas into the oil. Do a compression test on all of your cylinders. You could have blown a ring out or maybe torched a piston(if that can happen to these motors?) This is just an uneducated guess and two of many posibilities.

Compression test though. Thats my suggestion.

What does the white smoke smell like?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
whats it taste like?

just kidding..

seriously.. do a compression test.. that easiest way to determine ring failure.. you keep letting fuel go like that, you are going to kill your cats (if you have them) and o2 sensors a lot quicker than normal

JD

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ha car has no cats and the o2s are fried

the car is leaking a brownish oil like substance out of the exhaust, i saw it run 1st hand, when you let pressure off of the radiator the smoke goes away, im thinking the head gasket went slightly on one side head and its slowly seeping threw, so where puting a new motor in, cobra shortblock with pi heads matched to pi intake, if that is the case for sure

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i am leaning towards a head gasket. There is alot of smoke comming out of the bottem of the head somewhere and antifreeze and oil are comming out of the exhaust. so i am leaning towards head gasket.

-Derrick-

·
Registered
109 Posts
How long ago did you put your PI heads on? You could have gotten a bad gasket, or didn't correctly tighten the head bolts. This would definitly explain the coolant and oil. But gas in the oil would have to be a blown piston or ring. Is it possible that you blew out the cylinder so bad that you also blew out the head gasket? These are just some questions to think about, I'm no master tech.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah, something definitily isnt right with that bottom and top end, i know that for sure, but, it will get herself a new engine, and it will be sweet

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided to not even fix the motor. I will be selling the npi heads with the pi cams, the bottem end, if anyone even wants it, and maybe other little extras. (PM me if interested) As far as the new motor going in...... All i can say is it's gonna be sweet!!

I'll keep everyone posted on the engine buildup :)

-Derrick-

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Did you snag the cobra shortblock that was for sale on MD?
And let us know what you find wrong when you pull the motor.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey jack.....yeah that was me who got that cobra bottem end off modular depot. Im planning on picking it up this weekend. Yeah Ill let you know whats wrong.....I plan on starting the teardown today.....so you will know shortly.

-derrick-

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
You plan on using PI heads on that block?
If so..get ready for about 12.5:1 CR.
JL

1 - 20 of 46 Posts