TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 mercury cougar i was driving to work one day when all of a sudden it just would not go foot to the floor no die, felt as if not getting gas, it die twice few minutes later started agin both times still with the same problem above then no start at all.
just turns like it wants to start but wont.
I hear the fuel pump start at on position
push gas pressure valve gas comes out but amount and force varies
a friend of mine has a tb with same engine when we push his it looks like misty rain "lots of pressure" mine don't.
fuse is good
and no problem befor hand to indicate somthing being wrong

any help would be greatly apprecuated

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? If you don't know, I may start there since you seem to be getting inconsistent fuel pressure. That and it's only a couple bucks.

Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok sorry bout post time but I've been working and such.
now here's what's been done:
  1. new fuel pump
  2. new fuel filter
  3. replaced idle air control "lost old one"
  4. plugs/wires/vacuum lines seem ok from what i can tell
after that tried to start went for about a second or two then died :(

·
Banned
754 Posts
when it was working was there power when you jammed on the gas?? I'm thinking maybe clogged cats or similar??

I know my cats have gone, and need to be replaced, and it's causing me a noticeable loss of power and probably bad fuel consumption.

·
Registered
223 Posts
get a loaner vacuum gauge to test the manifold vacuum.. extremely easy just run it off the tree. Its not timing, either you have a fuel delivery problem or a spark problem, there isnt a hole lot of reason why a motor shouldnt fire.. it running well is a different story, break out the light tester and starting goin threw everything aswell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well haven't done anything with timing at this point
when it was working was there power when you jammed on the gas
barely it would just bog out

get a loaner vacuum gauge to test the manifold vacuum.. extremely easy just run it off the tree. Its not timing, either you have a fuel delivery problem or a spark problem, there isnt a hole lot of reason why a motor shouldnt fire.. it running well is a different story, break out the light tester and starting goin threw everything aswell
just out of curiosity what is the tree and what exactly would rule out timing?

note: I went out the other day and tried it again and it starts and runs long enough to hit the gas about 4 good times then dies. when i hit the gas it sounded strange can't really explain the sound but if i had to describe it i would say muffled maybe.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ok sorry bout post time but I've been working and such.
now here's what's been done:
  1. new fuel pump
  2. new fuel filter
  3. replaced idle air control "lost old one"
  4. plugs/wires/vacuum lines seem ok from what i can tell
after that tried to start went for about a second or two then died :(
how about checking fuel pressure with a gauge? You mentioned you are not sure of the fuel flow. I've seen pumps changed but they had wiring issues with low output.

If you have a harbor freight nearby you can get these tools cheap.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I vote for cat converter problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how about checking fuel pressure with a gauge? You mentioned you are not sure of the fuel flow. I've seen pumps changed but they had wiring issues with low output.

If you have a harbor freight nearby you can get these tools cheap.
At this point I seem to get good steady pressure from the pump to the rail after replacing the old fuel pump but what happens after that is unknown

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Have you tried running it with the MAF sensor disconnected yet ?

I wouldn't bother going any further without performing this test first.

..............learn from those who have travelled down the same road............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts