TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing first I know its not a T-Bird and I understand the history but, I have a 95 Mustang GTS (5.0) with a AODE and I need to which tranny's will work to replace mine because every AODE I find for a Mustang(5.0) is trashed already I need one to use while I rebuild the AODE that is in the car now. will newer 3.8 trans work? which years of T-bird or crown Vic trans will work?will I have to change ext housing and will my converter/driveshaft work? going to buy 1 tomorrow so I need help.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I don't know of any good transmission to put in that car,unless you somehow got the computer to cooperate with the gear ratio. I'd suggest you build that one or have it built.
Alan

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
In the long run it would be much simpler and easier just to rebuild your tranny. I bet in the time spent getting a tranny shipped and installing it is about the same turnaround time as for a rebuild. When you get it rebuilt, upgrade to the mechanical diode one-way clutch (also requires the reverse drum to be replaced). Use the spiral lock retaining ring from http://www.bulkpart.com/ to hold it on.

mid 92-94 Crown Vics and 94-5 Mustangs are the only cars with AODE's, and none of the CV AODE's will bolt up to a 3.8/5.0 . If you want the same thing, you're stuck finding an AODE from a 5.0, as the 3.8L ones aren't built as strong. Check the other thread for more info on swapping. If you were swapping in a 4R70W for a short time, you could get away with swapping the housings, but if you're thinking of a permanent change then swap the driveshaft yoke.
PS~ what finally did the tranny in?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stupidity and a Pontiac GTO.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Heh...I think mine died when I raced this hot(!!!!!) chick in a GTP at school. It didn't die right away, but about 20 minutes after that it was toast. I think it was worth it. I got whooped by the hottest girl I've ever seen. :D :D :D :D :D

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
In the long run it would be much simpler and easier just to rebuild your tranny. I bet in the time spent getting a tranny shipped and installing it is about the same turnaround time as for a rebuild. When you get it rebuilt, upgrade to the mechanical diode one-way clutch (also requires the reverse drum to be replaced). Use the spiral lock retaining ring from http://www.bulkpart.com/ to hold it on.

mid 92-94 Crown Vics and 94-5 Mustangs are the only cars with AODE's, and none of the CV AODE's will bolt up to a 3.8/5.0 . If you want the same thing, you're stuck finding an AODE from a 5.0, as the 3.8L ones aren't built as strong. Check the other thread for more info on swapping. If you were swapping in a 4R70W for a short time, you could get away with swapping the housings, but if you're thinking of a permanent change then swap the driveshaft yoke.
PS~ what finally did the tranny in?
Don't forget the 5.0 explorers are 4R70W

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will the explorer trans work? assume change tailshaft.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why change gearset and driveshaft? case is same lenghth if you swap tailshaft isnt it? why change gearset?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok not thinking planetary, thinking rear gears, sorry my mind has drifted a little- driveshaft talk made me think rear and I just found pinion seal leak. (damnit) found a rear main leak too. (double damnit) and found out my rear brakes need to be done (surprisingly not a triple damnit because I have Cobra set I have been waiting to install);)

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
Because you need an aod/e not a 4r70w. The main difference is the gearset.
Alan
Would there be a problem running the wider ratio gearset? I would think swapping a 4R in would be an improvement.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Well, it would be an improvement except for the computer is looking for a whole different set of gear ratios. The AODE is an electronic controlled transmission thus the E on the end. It has the same gearset as the AOD but the computer controls the shifting on the AODE. You can swap gearsets in an AOD with no problem since the computer doesn't control the shift in those.
Now, a reflash to tell the computer on an AODE equipped car that the gearset is different would allow you to use the wide ratio gearset from a 4R70W.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what about using a v-6 trans for short time?(while rebuilding AODE) they are easier to find and much cheaper when you do find them. Most scrapyards almost hang up on you when you ask for one for a 5.0L Mustang. and those that dont laugh at you when you ask about a warranty. I imagine that the T-bird guys get it alot when trying to use parts from other cars to modify for their cars . I once had a shop owner ask me to leave because I asked for a part for my 460 that was in my Mustang. But thats a different topic(Sorry) also doesnt ford Racing Performance offer wide ratio kit for the AODE? wonder what they do?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
For a short time like that you could use a v6 mustang AODE or a 4R70W (if you swapped the tail shaft housing)... the v6 stang one would be preferred for your case.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
would I have to swap tailshaft housing on V-6 trans? thought they were same.:confused:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
if you use a v6 mustang AODE it's plug and play.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
picked up trans they said was 95 Mustang 3.8 and just saw a tag on trans pan that says 98 4r70w- any way to tell difference between AODE and 4r70w?
i put the driveshaft in the tailshaft and it doesnt click so i assume it doesnt have mech diode so is there any other way to tell?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ok decided to drop pan found:

NoGasket-Maybe pan is from another trans
Solenoids-all have early part numbers
Solenoid wiring-Not a black plastic circuit board style

So I think it is an AODE but you might want to leave this post up for others.
and also maybe you guys know how to tell without puling pan.

I J-Moded my stock tranny is it safe to transfer that valvebody to this trans?
Thought solenoids that were in tranny had to stay with that tranny.

How hard is it to add the 2 extra clutches to bring it up to V-8 strength?

thnx for help in advance.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The tail shaft housings are different - if your driveshaft is out, slide it into the housing. If It's a 4R70W, the yoke will wobble around like nobodys business. If It's an AODE, them it will fit the same as your current tranny. Also see if you can tell the color of the seal. So far, all of the 4R70W seals I've seen have had yellow on them, and the AOD/AODE seals have red on them. I'll send a pic to show you the difference.

If you turn the output shaft and it clicks, it has a Mech diode in it. If it goes squeeeeeeaaakkk when you turn it, it is both a roller one-way clutch and it's guaranteed NOT to be a 98+ transmission. The wires in the pan also confirm this.

Assuming this is an AODE, you will be able to drive around on this trans for a while just fine while you rebuild your other one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts