TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed my resonator and muffs off my 94' Cougar 4.6L. And I was driving it for a while with no probs then i got my "Check Engine" light on. I about crapped my pants. What is the deal? I didn't remove my Cats. So it can't be the O2 Sensors detecting that. It may be something else. I also had a cold air intake installed. But i know i set that up right. Besides that everything else is stock. Help Pleeeze!! :(

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Go to a autozone or some chain auto parts store like that and see if you can get the codes read for free. Most will do it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reset my computer (removed the battery cable for 15 minutes) and the light has seemed to go off for now. When I first removed my mufflers the light didn't come on right away. But after a drove it for a lil bit it did. I don't know if this is a permanent fix or not. I thought that if i reset the computer it would learn its new programming with the exhaust off and it would have no probs. As for the Code Reading stuff. What good is that? Does it diagnose the problem?

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
cougar_ricer said:
As for the Code Reading stuff. What good is that? Does it diagnose the problem?
Welcome to the boards...

Resetting the computer will delete all codes stored in memory. Once you turn the car on and run it for a while, the computer (EEC) will spot the same problem and the check engine light (CEL) or MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp ?) will turn back on (same light, different names).

Scanning the computer via a codescanner will reveal the code. After obtaining the code, post it here, and we'll see what we can do.

The other day my friends' car threw a code. That code was P0455. After looking it up in an OBD II database (or in my repair manual CD), I found some good info:

P0455 Evaporative emission control system detected a large leak or no purge flow

Overview

The Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system prevents fuel vapor build-up in the sealed fuel tank. Fuel vapors trapped in the sealed tank are vented through the vapor valve assembly on top of the tank. The vapors leave the valve assembly through a single vapor line and continue to the EVAP canister (located in the engine compartment, in the rear of vehicle near luggage compartment area or along the frame rail) for storage until the vapors are purged to the engine for burning.

There are four types of Evaporative Emission (EVAP) systems:

The Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Flow system.

The Vapor Management Flow system.

Evaporative Emission System (Probe)

The Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Running Loss system.

and it keeps going...but I'll cut it off there.

This just goes to show how valuable the trouble code is. Please, try to get your car scanned either for free at an Autozone, or by using a codescanner that you purchase (or someone you know has, that works with Ford OBD II)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts