TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 91 thunderbird 3.8L non sc....and i used a engine degreaser to clean it up....so i sparyed it on....then hosed it off....ok now heres the problem....my car is idling up higher then usual....and when i unplug my idel position sensor or whatever its called.....my idel goes down but my engine light comes on.....so what should i do to fix this problem any one have any ideas????any help will be great

Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think the problem is...

The problem may be that you hosed the degreaser off.

You can't just go spraying water on the engine using a hose, you have to cover up some parts under the hood, there are electrical wires under there that you don't want to get wet...I say give it some time, to dry leave the hood open, it could dry up faster, especially if it's hot out.

Hope this helps
BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well when i hosed it off i cover up my altnator...distrubtor cap..intake cone filter and stuff like that.....so i dunno wha it can be but i need to figure it out fast....all i done was changed my transmission filter and put new valve cover gaskets on it then i sprayed it then hosed it off...and now it idels up alot higher for some odd reason...on my tach it says im between 2000-2500 rpms now and my car wants to take off on its own now. when im holding the break it seems like the car is wantin to take off on me!

thanks for ur help
Jay

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,788 Posts
JuicedByrd91 said:
and when i unplug my idel position sensor or whatever its called.....my idel goes down but my engine light comes on
I think you've solved your own problem here. You must of got the TPS or the connector wet when you sprayed it off. See what happens after everything dries out, hopefully you might not need to replace the sensor.

Joe

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IPS??? ok ur losing me here....i was told it is called a idel air control sensor or a idel speed control sensor...so which is IM LOST!

bare with me

thanks
Jay

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,788 Posts
My bad, sorry

TPS, throttle positioning sensor. You may have got this wet and is causing the high idle problems.

Joe

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so is the TPS and idel air control sensor and idel sped control sensorthe same thing???

thanks
Jay

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,788 Posts
Nope

TPS and the IAC are 2 different sensors.

Joe

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HAHA i bet ur tired of me bothering you huh???!!!...sorry man...where is the TPS located at on my car 91 3.8L non sc????

thanks AGAIN!

Jay

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
it is on the side of the throttle body facing the back of the car.... the throttle shaft goes into it. its on the opposite side of all the cables and such. i got this thing wet by knocking it in the water when i was cleaning up my throttle body.... now im gonna need a new one. -greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts