TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 95 bird and i already got eibach dropsprings, new shocks and struts. i like how it sits but i want to go lower in the front anyone got any sugesstions?

·
Registered
799 Posts
how low is it dropped??

·
Registered
240 Posts
obviously if you want to go lower then you would need to shorten the height of your springs even more. either it be getting new springs that offer a bigger drop or chopping a coil off of the ones you have now... mine was real low on stock cut coils, it rode rough but looked really sweet.

Do your springs have an isolator on them? you could remove that if it isnt already..

·
Registered
1 Posts
when you cut your stock springs, how muchof the coil did you cut off? and how much did it go down? any info will be appreciated. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Cut Springs

I've heard a lot of bad things about cutting springs, changes spring rate, effects hardness, etc. But about 20 years ago I had a '70 Chevelle that I put Station Wagon springs in to stiffen it up. It set too high after the swap, so I cut a loop off the springs and it worked out perfect. Every once in awhile, the full length headers would scrape on a good bump in the road, but it was rare.

Bottom line, I was very happy with the results, but you have to BE CAREFUL. We tried this again on a different car and it was a disaster - the car set too low and forget suspension travel.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
here...i had ST lowering springs...i think 1.5" front and 1" rear..

wasnt low enough...and i did this wayy to long ago to remember..
but either an additional 1/2 or full coil cut from front springs.

car looked bad A$$ but def had to watch big curbs, dips in the road, parking stops,
handled like a dream, but blew out front struts all the f'n time. good thing for lifetime warranty struts

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,602 Posts
Don't be afraid of cutting springs, it gets a bad rap because too many people cut waaaay too much off and/or cut them with a torch. The spring rate will go up when cut, which is a good thing for handling but will make bumps feel harsher, shocks should also be upgraded to match. Many people think this is an issue only associated with cut springs, but any aftermarket spring with a higher spring rate than stock will have the exact same effect.

BTW Theres way too many people calling the front shocks "struts" in this thread :tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
ok ill do tht thanks....but only cut one coil off on the springs?
Well, it's always easier to cut more if needed. Not so easy to put it back if you cut too much.....

·
Registered
433 Posts
how long has it been dropped? i would wait if you have done it in the last five months. i didnt like the height of my eibachs at first but after about five months of settling i love the ride height. they settle quite a bit too.

i swear im not trying to show off my newly mounted SC kit.... :D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yeah, as pointed out, cutting springs is not a bad thing itself. Many cut too much and have the car bouncing off the bounce stops as they go down the road and blame the crappy ride on the coils when what's really happening is the rubber stops are compressing and stopping the suspension before the car runs into Mother Earth.

On my '92 Sport I cut the stock Sport springs in steps keeping track until I got the drop I wanted. The car is level and sits about 1-1/2" or more lower than when I started. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it's plenty in the real world of curbs, drains, dips in parking lots, driveway approaches.

On my '92 I stopped at 1 full coil off the bottom of the front Sport coils ..... and 5/8 coil (that's a hair over 1/2 coil) off the bottom of the rear Sport coils. In the rear best to locate the last 3-4" of the coil bottom, the "pigtail" in the lower spring bucket in the area furthest out towards the wheel, away from the pumpkin. I kept my isolators. With 225/60-16 Goodyear Eagle RSA tires, on a level parking lot, after some mileage, it measured right at 27-5/8 inches from ground to lip of fender at top center each corner.
By dumb luck ..... I got it level.

Two links on subject:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=125480

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=115311

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Mine is cut looks great but rides rough and forget about it if you have less than perfect roads ot speedbumps - steep driveways etc. My front bumper is ruined and side skirts are scratched to hell from being too low and living in an area with bad roads...I will fix it though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts