TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has started idleing really rough and to me sounds like its missing cylinders. It has a new fuel pressure regulater and the codes it gave me are a lean mixture and misfire on cylinder 2. The people i have asked have said anyhting from burnt valve to vacumm leak or egr valve. It started this all at once. My fuel economy has dropped off a cliff 20 miles on 3/8 of a tank. it has a blue tint to the exhaust and it smells like raw gas. After I ran the koeo test the car would not start i had to hold the throttle to the floor for it to start. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
How old are the plugs/wires? What condition are all the plugs in? On a 94-5 It's not uncommon for an injector to just hang open, but there are other possibilities like bad plugs/wires or a bad o2 sensor... so one step at a time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I go about testin the injecters.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
hook a light bulb to the wiring harness at each injector

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok ill try that later on or tomarrow, my parents are lettin me drive thier 93 lx for now. It looks like the injector on cylinder 2 is stuck open because I took the plug out and it was covered with gas and I did a compression test and it filled the gauge with gas. Does anybody know how much a standard injector costs?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
it might be that the injector is okay and the EEC is whats keeping it open... but thats unknown until you get a light and test the harness.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok when I put the lights in do I have to put one on every cylinder all at once or just one at a time. The eec is a few months old so hopefully that aint it. SHould i also try unhooking the battery and resetting it?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
the engine wont run very well if you disconnect all the injectors at the same time, lol. Get it running, and check them all one by one. If most of them blink intermittently and one stays lit all the time, that will tell you the story.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went out and put the test light on 2 or 3 of the injectors and none of them blinked, so im assuming that the ecu went out the strange part is it isnt that old 3 or 4 months maybe if that. So im goin to call the guy up I bought it from.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If it's dumping fuel at such a rate that the mileage sucks big, the light should be staying on all the time (assuming that it was a injector hung open). The light you're using works on 12 volts, right?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I was talkin to someone else and they thought that it possibly had low fuel pressure, but if memory serves my brothers truck has a bad fuel pump and the scanneractually showed it as being low, would it apply the same here? I was goin to test it but I dont have the appropriate fitting on hand to test the fuel pressure. Also we was wondering if the test light would work because of the high rate of the cycles on the injectors.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If you want to check the fuel pressure, go ahead. At idle there should be about 34-35psi with the regulator's vacuum line connected. A dying fuel pump would mean you would have less fuel flowing through the engine, not flooding the cylinder like you say is going on.

Trust me, I know a test light works. I've done it several times.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was lookin at it today and pulled 4 plugs out and cylinder 2 was covered in gas, the cyinder in the back on the passenger side was clean kind of a white color it originally was in cyl. 2 and i moved it because it was almost fouled out, the cylinder in the front on drivers side was completely black, and the one in the back on the driver side was a tan color. Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Well it definitely appears there's a problem on #2, but until you get a light on the injector harness on #2 that works there's no way to tell if its the injector stuck open or the EEC dumping so much fuel in. The one black plug maybe be an ignition problem, or it may be a fuel problem. One problem at a time. How old are the plug wires? And what kind of fuel pressure regulator are you using? A stock replacement?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Hey Lightning Rod;

If you want good troubleshooting advice, itwould help if you answered the questions that are asked of you, so the person trying to help doesn't have to ask twice.

You don't sound like you know much about working on cars, so you should really try that suggestion. If you don't know how to test an injector with a light, then find someone who can.

Otherwise, you are going to throw money at the car needlessly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Silver95Bird The Fuel pressure regulator is a stock replacment, and the wores are about 6,000 miles old but I was dumb and bought the cheap ones.
Rolling-Thunder, I will get the code numbersand post em up tonight or tomarrow, and yes I know I don't know much about workin on cars this is the forst time I have dealt with a fuel or ignition problem, I usally work on brakes and stuff. Sorry if I don't get the right answer you are lookin for out.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Hey, no problem dude,

It's just that he asked you twice about the plug wires.

Would hate to see you throw money at something else, when it could be just a bad plug wire.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I went out and scanned the car and this is what I got.
On the KOEO test I got a P1711 tft snsr out of range,
The car was flooded after that test.
On the KOER test I got a P1131 HO2S11 snsr indicates lean and P1151 HO2S21 snsr indicates lean.
The car ran really rough and idled about 600 r.p.m. And I checked the spark on cylinder 2 for entertainment and it had spark. Amd the car didnt run anydifferent with the plugwire off.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Don't worry about the TFT code. If you run the car for a while and then do the koeo test youll see it doesnt come up. It's not related to your current issues.

I'd still fix your problem on #2 first, and see if it fixes any of the other problems you're seeing. I know it seems slow to do things this way, but we're trying to avoid you throwing money at parts you may not need. I wonder if we have any members near you that could help you?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts