TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is about my girlfriends 2003 Pontiac Sunfire. I didnt know who else to ask so here goes. She got up this morning and got into her car to go to work and it cranked over 2 or 3 times then quit. I wasnt out there when that happened but I took her to work then I came back to check on it. When I tried to start it it clicked and nothing happened like the battery was dead but its not. All of the gauges lit up and stayed on even after I took the key out of the ignition. So I unhooked the battery cable and waited about 15 mins, then I hooked it back up and tried to start it and same thing. Forgot to mention before I unhooked the battery cable the RPM gauge and speedo was jumping and making a noise with the keys completely out of the ignition. When i say jumping I mean barely moving but moving nonetheless. I dont know if its relevant but about a month ago the belt broke. I replaced the belt and its been running fine ever since til this morning. Im at a loss and dont know what to do.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
what is the actual voltage of the battery?

cause all the lights/radio will still come on with say 11 volts.....but it won't be enough to start the car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got the car started. I completely took the battery off then I hooked it back up about 10 mins later and it fired right up. But Im still worried about what could cause it to do that randomly. Whats weird is that ALL the gauges lit up with the keys out of the ignition.

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
I believe there is a TSB on this from GM involving replacing a section of the wiring going down to the starter. I just spent a few minutes looking and I can't find it, but I remember doing a bunch of them when I worked at the dealership. I'd say take a look by the starter and see if there is anything loose or burnt up down there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
the eldest bought one of them things cause she thought it was " cute " . yeah thing was recalled all the time i swear . the starter wires were one of them and another one for some sort of problem with the ignition switch i think , and on and on .

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I would suspect bad connection. Unhooking the battery and reinstalling it may have cured it, you wont know till the symptoms arise again and when they do, take voltage measurements at the battery and on the starter cables (easy to get to if it's a 2.2l) I have replaced ignition switches in cavaliers/sunfires because they were totally seized up. I suspected a stuck lock cylinder, but it was all in the ignition switch. Let us know what you find out!

-Rob

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah its had a lot of problems over the past 3 years. Its on its second engine lol and it was only at like 50-60k miles when it blew up. Nothing has happened since I got it running, but thanks for the help.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would suspect bad connection. Unhooking the battery and reinstalling it may have cured it, you wont know till the symptoms arise again and when they do, take voltage measurements at the battery and on the starter cables (easy to get to if it's a 2.2l) I have replaced ignition switches in cavaliers/sunfires because they were totally seized up. I suspected a stuck lock cylinder, but it was all in the ignition switch. Let us know what you find out!

-Rob
Yes now that you mention it, her ignition switch locked up too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
There was a recall on the starter wiring for all GM J bodies(Cavalier and Sunfire) made from 1996 to 04.All the dealer did was add a relay to the starter to take the load off the ignition switch.Your issue with everything staying on is the electric part of the switch, not the cylinder lock.REPLACE IT NOW!That's a sure sign that the car hasn't had the recall repair.The steering column will catch on fire and set off the airbag.Most cars burn to the ground.The recall was after a little old lady got confused when it happened and burned alive in the car.The recall order has run out,but talk to a dealer to be certain.Both my caviler and my mothers was recalled as was the steering rack.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
You can find out if your car is part of the recall if you go to pontiac.com and click the Owners link. Put in the Pontiac's VIN information and it'll tell you if the car is eligible and if so, if it's had the recall service performed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts