TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i got a t-bird 95 4.6l
ok when im at a stop light, and the engine is at maybe 600 or 500 the engine stall
and im wondering what can do that?

thx

cya
phil

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
If it stays running if you give it a little gas I would look at the IAC valve

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hum iac valve... i dont really know what it is...
ive unplugged the maf sensor and then the iddle is at 900... does that mean i have a bad maf

and what do i need to do
i did clean it like a week ago
so does that mean i need to change it?

thx

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
If the only problem is when it's idling, it is probably the IAC valve, which stands for the Idle Air Control valve.

They can be cleaned, but it's a little bit of a PIA to get at it, since it is behind the throttle body horn.

Just follow the small plastic tube that is connected to the intake tube in front of the throttle body. When you get to the other end of the plastic tube, you should find the IAC

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
IAC is the Idle Air Control valve. look it up in your manual (Helms, Chiltons, Haynes) and if you don't have one, GET ONE (preferably the Helms).

It could also be your EGR (Exhuast Gas Recycling) Valve is stuck open, but that usually sets off the CEL (Check Engine Light). If your CEL is blinking, get the codes read. It will narrow down the possible problems.

It could also be your MAF, but they don't usually fail. You might have damaged it when you cleaned it.

P.S. Just to add to RT's post....you might as well replace the IAC if your going to take it off. Usually when it's cleaned, it just fails again soon.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Here's a picture of what you're looking to clean/replace (I recommend replace):

Follow R-T's instructions on how to locate the valve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts