TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer got clear overspray on my Cobra R wheels, I thought about some type of paint thinner or brake cleaner but they would most likely damage the chrome? I tried using clay bar and that didnt work so I am stumped as to what to do next.

N Bell

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
They Sprayed Them...Their Problem

I don't know all the particulars, but if it was a dealer that just painted the car, it should be their problem. Hold them to it, but take pictures...

You might want to call some chrome shops and ask them what you should use.

Other than that, I have no idea. Sorry and good luck.

·
Registered
571 Posts
A buddy of mine got his car vandilized a while back with paint stripper. They threw it on his chrome wheels and it didn't hurt them at all. You could try that...or something a little less harsh like thinner. It shouldn't hurt them. I would also approch the people who painted your car too. They might take the blame. Good Luck

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I tried the dealer route..

I complained but the body shop manager is a friend and fellow MN12 owner so I let it go with that. It is not real horrible but you can tell when the wheels are clean that the chrome has some haze to it from the overspray.

N Bell

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Use De natured alcohol.......

That takes the paint off my glasses and i use poly to paint helicopters.It might take a little lbow grease but it is better then messing up your rims.
Good luck and just take your time.
Chris

·
Registered
180 Posts
try using a clay bar, availiable at any auto store (~10$). they claim to remove overspray ( i have never tries one on overspray though). i have used clay on the paint with fantastic results, makes it smooth as... well pretty damn smooth. just keep it wet so the clay dosent stick.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone...

I did try clay bar and it didnt work, I will try some thinner and see what that does.

N Bell

·
Registered
180 Posts
at least now you can still use the clay bar for your paint!
good luck with the thinner

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I've used some steel wool and a light touch to clean up overspray from chrome before. didnt take much to get it off, didnt hurt the chrome, and it didnt take too long....... maybe I'm an idiot, dunno

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turtle Wax Chrome polish

I used some thinner and didnt have alot of luck...I went out and got some of this polish and it did the trick. I guess its kinda like a rubbing compound of sort but it worked real well.

Thanks again for all the help,

N Bell

·
Registered
294 Posts
Easy...

use '0000' (very fine) steel wool with some chrome polish, rub gently. DO NOT use scotch brite it will ruin your wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts