TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car won't even idle! I just changed the O2 sensor - brand new Bosh from autozone. it is a 91 SC I even took out the EEC fuse and started it - I was told this resets the EEC. Is this a fact? It seems the sc thinks the bad o2 sensor is in there and It won't stay started for more then 10 seconds and that's when it is choking out and I am giving it gas it won't even go up in rpms. I am going to disconnect the battery. please help!

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
The car has to relearn the idle controol and usualy takes 10 minutes to learn and you might have to keep your foot on it to restart. It usualy takes 30 minutes with the fuse pulle to clear the computer. I would also take the maf off the car and get far away and clean the maf with carb cleaner or if you can get the sensor out of the housing then with a q tip and rubbing alchool. That should help. I feel that the reason why you car was chucging was a dirty mass air meter.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok well I pulled the fuse and then tried to start it, put it back in and it gave me utter hell. but this was because I waited like 2-3 min b4 trying to start it again. I now have had the battery (+) disconnected for a good 20 min. but how is the fuse going to matter if its out or in WHEN THE BATTERY IS disconnected? and I hear people saying trying to start the car with the fuse out, and put it back in. Ok - well are you supposed to do that BEFORE or AFTER you disconnect the battery? My maf was pretty dirty (by looking at the q-tip, the one side was all but grey) I am hping i will notice a difference.... AH next task - changing the 8.8 diff.... UGH!

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Here is the drill. If you remove the fuse and try to start the car this will discharge the EEC and reset it. Put fuse back in and you are done. Regardless I have never run across a bird yet that won't idle while it is relearning. When you cleaned the MAF you may have damaged the hotwire. Try unplugging the MAF and see if it idles

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
blown96bird said:
It usualy takes 30 minutes with the fuse pulle to clear the computer.
No, that's the battery cables, the fuse takes seconds. Mine would stall out if in drive and the EEC was reset but it idled in park or neutral fine and if I kept a light touch on the gas it would stay going.

If you can get it started try driving around for like 45 minutes or so through a few stops and goes and a long stretch so it gets as many checks as it needs to against the various conditions.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a retard my car was out of gas! hahaha... so ironic.. I mean, I drove it home.... I guess it was on a hill... I was that low on gas... scary actually...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks man I feel stupid enough already...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts