TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all we just joined this forum. Heres my issue. About 3 Weeks ago my GF bought a 93 Mercury Cougar with 108,000 Miles on it. The issues that came up right away she was told by a passing motorist that her headlights blink. Also the radio started to not work right. The 1 thing I thought of was a short or bad ground in the system, but get this the car was low on power steering fluid so I filled it up then the radio started to work fine. Im totally lost on why that is as one should have nothing to do with the other. Last week my gf was accelerating over a hill and started losing power and droped in acceleration, the engine light came on then the car died. I had it taken in to a shop and they replaced the distributor. The car starts and everything now BUT now the battery light is on and the car ran like ****. Took it back and they adjusted the distributer off specs(from what there computer says.) until the car ran better they said they checked the battery and alternator and both were fine. The battery light is still on. I also noticed that at a red light when i turn the wheel the volts drop to like 11-12V and the rpms drop some then return to normal. I also have noise coming from the powersteering pump (been like that tho since we had the car). My gf explained to me at one point when driving that the car stop accelerating at 10mph and 40mph and when she pushed the gas a lil more there was no acceration for about 10-15 secs then slowly kick in. Apparently it only happened twice to her, as I have driven the car and not experienced this prob yet. I have no idea if this is an electrical or mechanical issue. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
power steering pump pulling too much drag on the belt system, or a slipping belt?

I would replace the serp belt first and see if that fixes the problem... when you turn the wheel or if you have an old pump on its way out it will put more stress on the belt system, in connection with an old serp belt it might just be slipping the alternator pully and not making enough spin to power the alternator.

get a serp belt its worth a shot.

MG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts