TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...i just ordered my flowmaster 40's with the V6 conversion resonator....i was told this is bolt on however on one of my pipes (i have a picture if you need a visual-just give me an addy) is welded on. So how can this be bolt on? Im in cali so you know these exhaust shops wont touch this. Can I get some advice before I start on this and how to do this? I got this from the www.jegs.com site

Thanks

Robert

·
Administrator
8,695 Posts
I'm not sure which pipe you might be talking about, but I think with the Flowmaster V6 conversion you need to cut the factory resonator off and install the Flowmaster one. As far as I know it just slips on over the stock pipe then you clamp it. The rest of the Flowmaster system just bolts right up.

Joe

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im starting to see the ligtht

what do you recommend to cut the pipes with and any suggestions?

·
Administrator
8,695 Posts
Best thing to do first......

Wait until the system arrives before you do anything. See what needs to be done. A hacksaw would probably be the best bet. ;)

Joe

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
If you can get the car up in the air a bit it only takes 15 minutes to remove the whole exhaust system and it would be alot easier to make the cuts then, with a hacksaw.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used a wizz wheel to cut mine off. They tell you to measure exactly 12 inches from the front of the stock resonator, and make a mark on the pipes. This is where you will need to cut it. Make sure you cut the pipe straight. The flowmaster res. is about 22" long compared to the stock one at 18". When i ordered mine, i figured it would be a dual in single out muffler, but its not. The unit is actually kinda heavy for its size. It's made of thick steel, and then painted silver. I bought the dynomax kit for mine, and cut out my stock res, and that sounded like a honda. So i put the stock one back in unit I got the Flowmaster unit. I asked around a lot and no one seemed to have the flowmaster/dynomax combo. Most people had the Magnaflow/dynomax combo. So i figured i'd be different. The Dynomax middle pipe has a ball flange vs. the flowmaster which has a female end which is made to slip over the flowmaster res. So first thing was first....the Flowmaster unit has an offset outlet on the left. Dynomax kit is made for a center outlet. I started by bolting up the flowmaster unit and saw what i needed to do. The Dynomax pipe needed to be cut about 6 inches and have a female end flared in it. Also the bend closest where you cut needed to be bent more....so that the section that runs through the gas tank is in the same plane as the one that mates up with the res. This is hard to explain now, but once you get under the car its very easy. I just brought it to an exhaust shop to have them bent the pipe some more and flare the end. Cost me 15 bucks. After that....it fit like a glove. I dont like the sound of the Flowmaster kit, I've heard v6's with them and they sound horible. I love my setup though. It was kinda quiet at first but it has the best tone to it. Sounds mean. Still sounds like a v-6 but sounds great. I ended up getting the cats removed and now it sounds the best....made it a lot louder. So the bottom line is...if someone wants to save some cash, go with the Dynomax catback, and the Flowmaster res. (#15100) for a total around $300 compared to the almost $400 for Flowmaster kit. Thats just my two cents. I hope i helped some through this long post.....lol.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
???????????????

question: I get this knocking sound from under the vehicle like near the rear passenger seat after I drive for a while on the highway and then it does it everytime I accelerate. At first I thought I was dragging a muffler like it fell off the hanger or something but everything looks fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts