TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of PI cams and an extra set on NPI heads. My plan is to get the NPI heads PnP then I will install comp springs and the new PI cams into the extra set of heads. Now this is where I don't knopw what to do. After that when swapping heads I need to align the cam shaft with the motor. What is the procedure for this or is there a website devoted to this. I will be taking the old heads completely off and replacing them. Any help would be great

PS will I need the cam positioning tool and cam holding tool as I found a great deal on them and don't mind buying them.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
There's an article on modulardepot.com right now about timing the SOHC Modular engines. That's essentially the method that I used to time mine, and it runs just fine. Timing it after swapping the heads will be just like timing it any time you take the timing chain off.

Edit: I didn't have a cam positioning tool or a cam holding tool.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does it make any difference how you install them into the head, if the head is OFF of the motor,? Or is it recommended to install them after the heads are installed?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have the ame question as Pappy.. Do you need any special tools to put on the PI's?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks for the info guys.....what about the cam install....do you install the springs and valves first then the cams into the heads?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not going with renegade.....I have a cnc machine at my disposal and I have flow numbers on the 4.6 that are a little better. (not trying to say that renegade is worse) Just trying to save a little money and do it locally. Basically all i spent money on is the parts.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah thats what i was htinking but I have to get one still.....it was coming eventually anyways:tongue:

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
it's easier to do them with the heads off the car than on, unless you wanna be bent over the car...

Yes, valves and stems before the cams...

I just did this last weekend.... When I get my Kooks, the heads are going on the car.... Timing should be cake, just make sure there is no contact on anything when turning by hand... The articles on Modular Depot are good, and when you put the Cams in, USE ASSEMBLY LUBE, The article says to just use Oil...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
There is no need to replace the springs on a 96/97 head, they will accept the PI's just fine. A comp cam will require new springs.

Not special tools needed either, the lobes are bigger, so it's a bigger tight going in, but otherwise no problems.

It's a fairly straight forward swap. Timing should be really easy as well since the chains should be marked rather clearly, and the sprockets and the crank is marked as well.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great instructions here guys.....as always thanks again. I am confident now about the swap bewteen mod depot article and here. And I will definately be doind the swap with the heads off :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts