TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I did search, so anyways on with the questions.
1. we have a 120A alternator correct?
2. anyone know the idle output
3. will aftermarket alt for a mustang work?
4. If i can overdrive the alt in the same fashion someone would overdrive a supercharger, will it have negative affect on it, or will it even work?

thanks alot

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
1. the 4.6's have a 130A stock
2. max idle output is in the neighborhood of 65-75A (guesstimate)
3. as long as its for a 4.6 yes....the thinner Bullit alternator might need different connectors though.....i haven't seen one in person, nor the newer ones either...but its just a matter of buying the correct pigtails for them and splicing them on the stock wires, if they are needed
4. negative effect is more heat produced in the alternator....as long as its not overdriven too much, and is of decent quality, you can get away with overdriving to a certain extent

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you are really looking for more output......you could have it rebuilt and have the amperage raised. I had my stock one rebuilt and rasied it peak amperage to 200 amps. Only costed me 180.00 even. I knew the guys at the shop really well so i kinda got a deal........but im sure you could find some local guys around you that could do it for about 250.00......plus thats alot cheaper then a new higher amperage alternator.

-Derrick-

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fast96Tbird said:
If you are really looking for more output......you could have it rebuilt and have the amperage raised. I had my stock one rebuilt and rasied it peak amperage to 200 amps. Only costed me 180.00 even. I knew the guys at the shop really well so i kinda got a deal........but im sure you could find some local guys around you that could do it for about 250.00......plus thats alot cheaper then a new higher amperage alternator.

-Derrick-
thats true but I read that a rebuilt alternator actually only raises the Max output not the idle output. This really skillful alternator man named Dominick Iraggi gave me a price of
220 $339.00
240 $359.00

Both do over 150 at idle.all i did was tell him what kind of car and what Kinda power I wanted. 150 at idle is ****ing great. the price is a little high but I really think itll be worth it.Im gonna get with him soon and order one.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
peak output still may help, its better then nothing, 339 doesnt seem crazy for an alternator for that high an output, i see then with less output in some magazines for the same price, you gotta pay to play

1 - 5 of 5 Posts