TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it looks like i have to take the control arm off the car and have a shop remove and install a new ball joint for me, but i can't get the bolt that connects the shock to the lower control arm out. i've tried heat, pickle forks, pry bars, penetrating oil, and hammering it, but the thing won't budge. the nut is off, but i can't slide the bolt out even with all the things i've done above. any advice on what else to do or things you've done to get it off?

here's a picture, just incase you don't know what bolt i'm referring to (number 7 in the picture):

·
Registered
680 Posts
when in doubt, torch it out!!!!

Never had problems with mine, other than, I do make sure to leverage the spindle, or control arm, and sometimes adjusting the height to get the bolt and hole to light up right. (using a floor jack and a piece of wood under the control arm)

But if yours is seized up in the sleave it's time for an acetyline torch or some mapp gas.

Heat her up good, real good, let her cool down with water, do this three times, if she doesn't come out then, you will probably have to burn the bushing out to get the metal sleave and bolt out together.

If your saying the hole is ligned up fine, and that bolt won't even budge an inch with a sledge hammer, then your bolt is corroded and fused to the metal sleave that it sits inside. Heating and cooling the bolt or the bushing at different rates helps to break up the corrosion, but it's hard to due when the bolt and busing are wrapped in rubber inside a big control arm. You may end up cutting her out.

Good Luck!!!

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
well.. my bolt wanted to get stuck.. i used an air hammer, it came out.. i also used a big screwdriver between the shock and LCA to try and relieve addditional "stress" on the bolt, it slid out w/o much effort

oh wait.. i live in FL.. no salt rust :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts