TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. Yesterday, I installed my 22c plugs, 180 T-stat, 02GT MAF, the proper pigtail and a mail order SCT tune via flasher. I'm not very familiar with what a car does after it gets a new program, so maybe I'm just worrying about a normal adjustment period, but here we go:

The car seems to be hunting for idle (In park and in gear) and idles virtually the same with the new MAF unplugged. I've got a couple questions about this: When I installed the new pigtail, none of the tutorials I read on updating the pigtail said that wire-length was critical, so I didn't worry about it. Could the added 6" of wire cause enough of a change in resistance that the computer is getting a faulty reading from the MAF? The new pigtail was soldered into place using Activated Rosin Core solder and wired according to the article found on MTC. The airbox and MAF housing were painted before install, but I inspected them very closely and don't see any evidence of overspray on the MAF wiring or the MAF plug, there also doesn't appear to be any on the screen, so I feel pretty comfortable ruling out overspray. Or is this hunting just a normal adjustment period for the car?

The second problem I've noticed is that when I get on the gas lightly from a dead stop (and in First gear only), the car bucks like it had a manual and a novice behind the wheel. In manual 2, it doesn't buck, but you can tell that the car doesn't exactly like it. It feels like you're trying to go up a decent grade in overdrive at 35-40mph. Anyway, if I jab the throttle lightly and then get on it, the car accelerates just fine. What could this be? Is the TC locking in first gear for some reason? Or could this be something caused by the new MAF (and it's apparent unwillingness to co-operate)?

It also likes to hang in gear and stay in overdrive once it gets there. Not such a big deal on the freeway, but around 40mph, the engine is very definitely lugging and I have to get on the throttle kinda hard to get it to downshift to 3rd. I'm thinking the reason it likes to "hang" in gear a bit could also have something to do with whatever MAF issue I'm having, because I do sorta have to get on it to get the car to stop bucking in first gear.

So... is it the MAF? Could it be an element of the tune? Or am I just worrying to much about a normal adjustment period for the car?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
did you get the MAF and chip from the same source? one of the two isnt doing too good... talk to your suppliers... have the numbers / letters from the MAF avail before calling the chip burner.... the set up should work dandy, but you will be asked if you cleaned the crud off the computer terminals on both sides thoroughly , so check that 1st......

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, the MAF was purchased brand new from Dan and I bought the SCT 9100 from Lonnie. Upon reinspecting my MAF install, I realized that I'd crossed the power and ground wires while splicing the harness. (DOH!) So I re-soldered them and have yet to get the car back on the road. Hopefully, I didn't fry the damn MAF, and if I did, this is gunna be one hell of an expensive lesson.

Edit: Update: I'm an idiot. Thankfully the MAF wasn't fried and with it wired up /correctly/ this time. She runs like a dream. Haha :uppoint:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts