TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The butterflies on my TBI are stuck closed and i was wondering how to get them to working again. I just bought this one to go along with my other bird cuz they both match and I would like to get it running. By the way the car in question is an 87 t-bird with a 3.8 and an AOD tranny.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'd try carb cleaner that is injector safe. Soak the linkage out side of it as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kk I'll try that. I was also wondering if someone could help me with another problem? my car smokes real bad when i start it and i cant figure out whats wrong. I was told the Head gasket was out on it, cuz it smells like moistier in the fumes. Yet in the same instance it runs great and doesnt miss.

·
Registered
814 Posts
If it just smokes when you start it sounds like your valve seals are leaking oil into the cylinder. Most shops should be able to fix it without removing the head.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not Oil leaking it smells like antifreeze from the exhaust fumes. It also runs but misses on one cylinder.

·
Registered
814 Posts
That sounds like a head gasket. Is your oil level up in the pan or look brownish?

·
Registered
814 Posts
On the valve seals you won't be able to see it leak. It's internal. But if it smell sweet it's kinda gotta be a head gasket if it's coming out through the tailpipe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts